WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

BLOG or WEBSITE?

ChallengeUrselfChallengeUrself subscriber Posts: 6

Dear All,
 Couple of days back, I posted a topic on designing a website but after
looking into the options, resources, my plan and discussion with couple of web
entrepreneurs-- I realized and was suggested tht I explore the option of BLOG
along withWEBSITE. Ofcourse it heavily depends on what I want to deliver with
the medium.
Just a brief, on what I am doing --I am building a online resource which would
work as a career/ life consultant and a space for all the resources needed for
it. I have researched both the options but the information is overwhelming
and I am kind of biased towards blog option (may be first I should go with a blog and then later launch a website?) but YOUR insight will be highly
appreciated. Also, I have couple of questions--
Q1. For the type of service I want to provide, do you think blog is a better option?
Q2. Has anyone had a similar situation--debate between blog and website? What did you do?
Q3. How can I make a blog interactive rather than just the owner blogging all the time? Also, how can I make a blog which includes USER GENERATED CONTENT ?
Q4. Is wordpress the best blog publishing platform? If not, which one is the best?
Q5. How can I monetize a blog? I know of Google adsense and affiliate mktg but is there any other good source?
Q6. Any more suggestions ???
As always, thanks alot for your time, and insight )
Priya

ChallengeUrself2/19/2009 8:01 AM

Comments

• Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member

Q1. For the type of service I want to provide, do you think blog is a better option? A1: It`s depends. A blog isn`t for everyone. I suggest you read my article, "Should You Blog?"
    Q2. Has anyone had a similar situation--debate between blog and website? What did you do? A2: Yes, I did. I simply did lots of research to determine if a blog would be able to do everything I needed it to do - now and in the future.
    Q3. How can I make a blog interactive rather than just the owner blogging all the time? Also, how can I make a blog which includes USER GENERATED CONTENT ? A3: Blogs are interactive by their very nature. You write something and hopefully readers will comment. But there are other things you can do as well. For example, you can have an RSS feed. You can start a newsletter. You can have a forum, and you can have polls. Q4. Is wordpress the best blog publishing platform? If not, which one is the best? A4: I think it depends on the individual. But yes, the consensus is Wordpress is the best - though I personally prefer and use Blogger myself.
    Q5. How can I monetize a blog? I know of Google adsense and affiliate mktg but is there any other good source?  A5: If you have any marketable skills, you can monetize your blog with a service you provide. For instance, I monetize my blog with affiliate programs, but I also do some ghostwriting and consulting for select clients.  Q6. Any more suggestions ???
    A6: Do your homework. David Jackson DavidJackson2/19/2009 7:52 AM
  • Options
    Eric and David,
    Thanks alot for the quick response and insight-- It helps. Also, david-- I read ur article, it answered most of my other unasked questions as well (i couldnt leave a comment though?). Thanks for posting such articles.
    thanks,
    Priya
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    David-- I read ur article, it answered most of my other unasked questions as well (i couldnt leave a comment though?). Thanks for posting such articles.
    thanks,
    Priya

No problem, Priya.

David Jackson
  • Options
    KadeDworkinKadeDworkin subscriber Posts: 0
    Priya,
    If you do a custom installation of Wordpress you can actually make some changes inside the control panel that will allow static pages to appear on the URL (http://www.somethingrandom.com).  You can then set blog content, which I recommend you write or record for, on another page.  Leverage interactivity with your website visitors.  Finally I would recommend seeking out a premium wordpress theme.  Normally these will cost anywhere from $25-150/ theme.  Not a trivial investment but one worth making.  If you have the desire you can also find a contract wordpress designer to create a completely custom theme for you but that can get quite costly.
    Good luck,
    Kade
  • Options
    Hey Kade,
    Thanks for ur insight. Do you mean I can make my blog interactive (features like UGC) if I use custom wordpress installation?
    I will definitely explore the option.
    Thanks again,
    Priya
  • Options
    KadeDworkinKadeDworkin subscriber Posts: 0
    Priya.
    If you`re looking for UGC in the form of comments and reactions, that`s built into WordPress.  As for additional features, check the plugin listings at wordpress.org and you`ll find many of the features that you would want for UGC.  If they`re missing something you critically need, say a wiki, those installations aren`t much harder than the custom WordPress installation.
    Kade