WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

In Your Face Marketing

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited February 2009 in Marketing
One of my biggest pet peeves is when I`m visiting a website for the first time, and BAM! As soon as I land on the site, I`m immediately hit with one of those "in your face" floating ads, pop-ups or drop-down subscription forms asking me subscribe to some newsletter or request a free report.
All this before I`ve even had a chance to explore the site. That really pisses me off, and more often than not when I encounter this, I simply click-away from the site.
Now marketers who employ these types of techniques will argue vehemently that these things significantly improve their opt-tin conversion ratio and sales.
But that`s not the point. The point is if I don`t like them, other people don`t like them either.
Why risk offending anyone for a few extra sales?
My philosophy is just because something works doesn`t mean you have to use it. Anyway, I thought this would make a good topic for discussion.
What are your feelings about "in your face" marketing techniques? Do you like them or dislike them?
David Jackson

DavidJackson2/12/2009 10:07 AM

Comments

• Options
    David, I totally agree!  Pop ups annoy me tremendously.They give the site a lack of professionalism.
    My waterless car wash website has a video that plays as soon as you get on the site. I have gone back and forth, turning it off and turning it on and I seem to get more sales when it is on because it shows a demo of the product. I know the video can be annoying when your sound is turned up on your computer but for now it is working.
    Great post! Glad someone is seeing the big picture.

Thanks, Ultraluster!

You should really give vistors the option of listening to your video or not. Automatic audio can be quite annoying as well.

David Jackson
  • Options
    Another thing that pisses me off is you have to enter you email to get to the body of the site.

Yeah, those are called "pure" squeeze pages. They give you two options: Enter your e-mail address, or leave. I hate those as well.

David Jackson
  • Options
    MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    I hate the floaters too, but I have to disagree with you. If we are running a site to make money and there is a specific tactic that can improve conversions, than it is certainly viable to test it out. It might annoy some people, but if the goal of the site is for conversions, than any tactic that works (and is ethical) is fair game, as long as the benefits outweigh the costs. Personally, I wouldn`t use the floaters or pop-ups but I can see the merit for those who have seen an increase in sales because of it. Like the saying goes: you can`t argue with success. Commercials are annoying, but they work, don`t they?
    I guess it really comes down to a sort of balancing act. You can gun for the conversions right off the bat, and there is some merit to that. But at the same time, it might ruin some long term relationships that might lead to bigger sales in the future. I think its up to the site owner to weigh the two options and balance their ad placement appropriately based on their goals.
  • Options
    I hate the floaters too, but I have to disagree with you.

No problem. That`s exactly why I started this thread - to get different opinions.

David Jackson
  • Options
    davebarnes04davebarnes04 subscriber Posts: 0
    Anytime I`ve built a site for someone these kind of things always come up. Most times the initial design will be dictated by the owners personal taste. (which most times is bad) As webmasters we do have some responsibility to say "Of course we can, but that doesn`t mean we should".

All of the great ecommerce sites test, test and test. If a certain type of tactic converts better than another the change is made. I just came back from the Internet Retailers convention in Ft. Lauderdale, and I can tell you for the most part the popup, slam-me, type stuff is old hat. Most of the new browsers allow the user to shut`em off. Of course this is problematic if your site uses popups to confirm products being added to your cart and whatnot. So those that really know what`s going on, don`t do it. This year the focus is on make the user experience as good as possible. So David, you could probably make a few bucks working the focus group circuit!

Ultimately, you watch your analytics and see what your traffic responds to. If you`re slamin` people with junk right off the bat, your "bounce rate" is going to be off the charts. And anyone who thinks they covert more by scaring away the majority of their visitors is a loon. They just didn`t have good content to start with.

Good topic...

I haven`t heard much talk here about analytics. Course I`m new to SuN but somebodies got to crunchin` the numbers. Guess I`ll have to look around some more.
  • Options
    Y`know, that`s really an interesting question that`s been on my mind for a long time. "Just because we can do something, does that mean we should do it?"
    A variation is the rationale, "If we don`t do it, somebody will for sure and we`ll lose our competitive edge."

The problem with that rationale is that it`s flawed. I don`t use those types of techniques, and I haven`t lost my competitive edge. I`m making money with my blog.

For example, instead of using one of those obnoxious, in your face subscription forms, I use a basic subscription form and my conversion ratio is well above average.

And the best part is my technique doesn`t offend anyone.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson2/13/2009 9:12 AM
  • Options
    As webmasters we do have some responsibility to say "Of course we can, but that doesn`t mean we should".

That`s exactly my point. Just because something is proven to be effective doesn`t mean we should use it. That being said, I recognize and respect the fact that people have a right to do whatever they want with their sites.

I just thought it would interesting to get different opinions on this, and thus far, I`m happy with the response!

David Jackson
  • Options
    Regarding the logic of someone else doing it, so why not "me?"
    I`m not saying everyone does that. I`m saying that the rationale lies at the root of why so many people do use invasive techniques.

I understand what you`re saying, Craig and I agree with you 100%.

David Jackson
  • Options
    I also don`t like news casters who express their personal opinions on "anything". they should just state the facts.

That`s definitely a topic for another day.

David Jackson
  • Options
    I wonder if that logically means that some customers "require" in-your-face advertising to be motivated at all?

As usual, great stuff, Craig!

I think the logical conclusion to your question is YES!

David Jackson
  • Options