WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Digg marketing - Please join and interact

MavorMavor subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2009 in Marketing
 Hello everyone.
 As most of you probably know, digg is a very powerful traffic driver to your website. By working together, we can digg our new startup ideas and messages. We can drive more traffic together.
 Please make a digg user name, and share it with us on this forum post. I will keep a full list here at the top post so people can easily add everyone to their digg friends.
 Just check your digg account once a day and digg things that the group is shouting. : )
 Also, the more friends/family you can get involved with us, the more powerful our combined voice will be.
Digg Group Members:
Mavor

Comments

• Options
    sunshinegirlsunshinegirl subscriber Posts: 3
    I posted an article this week about the Pittsburgh Steelers Fight Song and have gotten more hits from digg to that blog than from any other traffic source today! I`m definitely a believer.

My id is : indylaw99
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member

I posted an article this week about the Pittsburgh Steelers Fight Song and have gotten more hits from digg to that blog than from any other traffic source today! I`m definitely a believer.   Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but right now anything having to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers is going to generate a great deal of attention. After all, they have millions of fans and they`re in the Super Bowl. I`m not suggesting that social networking sites like Digg aren`t effective, because they can be. But the timing and topic of your article has more to do with the results you`re seeing than anything else. When analyzing results, it`s important to weigh all the factors. And the success you`re having with this particular article is atypical. David Jackson  DavidJackson1/21/2009 7:25 PM
  • Options

I posted an article this week about the Pittsburgh Steelers Fight Song and have gotten more hits from digg to that blog than from any other traffic source today! I`m definitely a believer.   Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but right now anything having to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers is going to generate a great deal of attention. After all, they have millions of fans and they`re in the Super Bowl. I`m not suggesting that social networking sites like Digg aren`t effective, because they can be. But the timing and topic of your article has more to do with the results you`re seeing than anything else. When analyzing results, it`s important to weigh all the factors. And the success you`re having with this particular article is atypical. David Jackson  
     But conversely, I am not seeing DIRECT traffic on this particular article. It`s not even ranking in Google. So if it were not for the digg traffic, I would not be getting any traffic to the post at all. Because the blogs are saturated with Steelers posts this week, it is hard to rank for any decent keywords.
  • Options
    But conversely, I am not seeing DIRECT traffic on this particular article. It`s not even ranking in Google. So if it were not for the digg traffic, I would not be getting any traffic to the post at all. Because the blogs are saturated with Steelers posts this week, it is hard to rank for any decent keywords.

That`s exactly my point. You`re seeing traffic to your article indirectly, because of a hot topic (Pittsburgh Steelers), and unusual circumstances (Super Bowl).

Please don`t misunderstand what I`m saying. I`m not knocking the traffic you`re getting. More power to you.

I`m merely pointing out that timing and circumstances are greatly responsible for that traffic, that`s all.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson1/22/2009 9:02 AM
  • Options
    I totally agree. The traffic may be increasing but it is not the right traffic. People that are searching for information on the Steelers (one of my favorite team`s) are looking for information on the Steelers and if you are not selling Steelers merchandise etc you are not what they are looking for.

Exactly.

If you`re  an entrepreneur, find a way to turn that traffic into cash.

Otherwise, it`s just wasted traffic.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson1/22/2009 9:29 AM
  • Options
    I totally agree. The traffic may be increasing but it is not the right traffic. People that are searching for information on the Steelers (one of my favorite team`s) are looking for information on the Steelers and if you are not selling Steelers merchandise etc you are not what they are looking for.
    Just my opinion.

I didn`t say that I wasn`t selling Steelers merchandise. Actually, the post is about the Steelers Fight Song for 2009 and where you can get copies of it. So people searching for "Pittsburgh Steelers Fight Song 2009" are seeing my digg come up second in Google. If they click on it, they end up at my blog post which has a youtube video of the song with pictures as well as an ebay link to buy the CD and a general link to buy Steelers AFC championship merchandise.

Isn`t that exactly what this post was talking about to begin with? Ways to use digg to drive pertinent traffic to your sites? My blog post itself does not rank high enough in Google to get traffic to it organically. But because the digg post does, people are finding precisely what they want from the second organic search result on Google.
    sunshinegirl1/22/2009 9:28 AM
  • Options
    People searching for "Pittsburgh Steelers Fight Song 2009" are seeing my digg come up second in Google. If they click on it, they end up at my blog post which has a youtube video of the song with pictures as well as an ebay link to buy the CD and a general link to buy Steelers AFC championship merchandise.

Okay, I misunderstood what you were saying.

You have monetized that article.

Good for you!

David Jackson
  • Options
    Many internet marketers make the mistake of using the wrong content to promote their products and wonder why they are not getting any sales.

Exactly right.

They write an article about widgets, and link to a website that sells pink flamingos.

There`s obviously a disconnect there.

David Jackson