WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to Write an Effective Forum Signature File

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited January 2009 in Marketing
Everyday thousands of people join online forums. Some join to mingle with other like-minded individuals. Others join seeking help for a particular problem they`re having or to help others.
So on forums all over the internet, millions of posts are generated each year. And at the end of those posts is something called a "sig file."
The definition of a signature (sig) file is as follows...Continue reading How to Write an Effective Forum Signature File.
David Jackson

Comments

• patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103

The problems with the "come see me because I am the best" approach include:
    1.  You lose all credibility with people.  Everybody wants to believe they are the best.  By definition, only one person is "best" and that person probably is not running around blabbing.  The "best" person is probably too busy being the best to keep waiving his arms to attract attention.  The "best" person is probably not giving away "free" stuff (which is usually worthless) either.
    2.  People are immune to it.  When every website designer or every marketing “expert” or search engine optimizer claims to be the best, we know it is a lie.  Not EVERYBODY can be number one - only ONE person can.  When you oversell or over-promise, you disappoint. 
    3.  It`s meaningless.  Who makes the best cup of coffee?  Starbucks?  Dunkin Doughnuts?  McDonalds?  How can we tell?  Most cups sold per day?  Taste test?

I`m not the world`s best lawyer.  I`m not sure who is, but it isn’t me.  I do a good job and I charge a fair price.  If I have any “free” time I will play with my kids or give a presentation somewhere about trademark law, which I do.  My doctor is not the best doctor in the world.  My car mechanic isn’t the best.  If you are reading this, you are probably also not the best.  You know it and your customers know it.  It’s ok.  Get over it.  Stop pretending and kidding yourself and improve your skill set as much as you reasonably can.

• DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member

The problems with the "come see me because I am the best" approach   Nowhere in my article did I suggest to anyone that they claim to be "the best." You read something that just wasn`t there. The article is about writing a sig file that is compelling enough to make people want to click on it - period. David JacksonDavidJackson1/18/2009 11:25 AM
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103

For example, instead of just saying "Visit Jackson`s Website Design, " which is weak and ineffective. Say "Visit Jackson`s Website Design - the best websites for the least amount of money!"

What does this say?
    The more you can appeal to completely selfish or prurient interests the more click you will get.
    Can you deliver on such promises?  Perhaps not.     Don`t promise things you know you can`t deliver.  It`s lying, and it`s dishonest. Don`t do it! David Jackson
    What does this say?

That`s called an "example." An example is sort of like an illustration.

In my actual sig file, I don`t call myself "the best."

That being said, if someone chooses to call himself the best, I personally don`t have a problem with it, as long as they can back it up to the satisfaction of the prospect.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson1/19/2009 11:27 AM
    Forum signatures do work. On both our website and my blog I have seen in the search results that people click on them. I agree that just putting the links without any text doesn`t do much.

Kathy, your sig file is a perfect example of a properly structured signature. That`s why people are clicking on it.

Well done.

David Jackson
    Thanks. I really like yours also. It explains well what you do

In my best Elvis voice...

"Thank you. Thank you very much!"

David Jackson
  • MavorMavor subscriber Posts: 1
     Before making your signature, realize that many people are not ONLY thinking about their self-interest. They are also interested in those around them reaching their potential as well.
    So, instead of saying "Low-fat diet, watch the pounds melt away!" you should be saying something like "Low-fat diet, be an example for your children and lead a healthy lifestyle". This is much stronger because you will be doing yourself AND your children a favor.
     Before making your signature, realize that many people are not ONLY thinking about their self-interest. They are also interested in those around them reaching their potential as well.

Actually, that`s not true.

Studies have long proven that most people are inherently selfish, and are more interested in their own best interests.

David Jackson
  • MavorMavor subscriber Posts: 1
     Studies have also proven that many people place a high value on seeing other people reach a higher potential in their life, their job, etc.. These are people with a strong sense of empathy.
     Therefor, these people are still selfish, but their selfishness manifests in wanting to see other people do well.
     I should have been more clear in my original post.Mavor1/20/2009 10:06 AM
     Studies have also proven that many people place a high value on seeing other people reach a higher potential in their life, their job, etc.. These are people with a strong sense of empathy.

I understand what you`re saying.

Unfortunately, these types of people are the minority, not the majority.

Selfishness and greed still rule the day, and advertisers still try to exploit that.

David Jackson
  • eliza189eliza189 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello David........ Nice tips. And I just want to say if I like my website with the keyword "Beautiful
    website" in stead of "website design", I will not be able to get the
    value of anchor text. This is as simple as that. Catchy signature may
    help to get targeted traffic but the number is so small that you can
    ignore them for the sake of anchor text value. I think now you will be
    able to understand what I have said.
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    not all avenues have do-follow tags, which means your efforts yield no results. be careful before you embark on a time consuming journey to spam the web