WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Signature links work?

sbuckinghamssbuckinghams subscriber Posts: 9
Hi Guys,
Do signature links on forums work for SEO? as you can see ive added my site`s 3 main keywords on my signature with link to my site. should i make them different, i.e for silk tie linking to sbuckinghams.com/silkties etc and so on.
how to google and yahoo spiders see this?

thanks in anticipation

Comments

• DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Do signature links on forums work for SEO?

I can tell you from personal experience that sig files work extraordinarily well, if they`re written correctly.

Unfortunately, most sig files are not written correctly and as a result get very few click-throughs.

You`ll get far more click-throughs if you provide a benefit to the reader in your sig file, as opposed to just listing what products you sell.

If you want to see an example of the correct way to write a sig file, check out mine.

David Jackson
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    You`re good.  "Free" always gets my attention and I did click through to your site out of curiosity.
    You`re good.  "Free" always gets my attention and I did click through to your site out of curiosity.

Thanks, Steve!

David Jackson
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    For SEO benefit signature links should be targeted keywords AND be able to be followed by search bots.

Signature links on SUN are "no-follow" links so they will not help your search results.

As far as click throughs - then links should use words to entice the view to click. These may or may not also be  your targeted key words.

Links such as Super Bowl special within a post are also good for search results if they are followed (they are not on SUN).

(my late response - I was in Vermont for the weekend).

~Roland
    vwebworld1/18/2009 10:54 PM
    As far as click throughs - these may or may not also be  your targeted key words.

I disagree. You should always use your targeted keywords in your link, if you want to realize SEO benefits.

In fact, every word you write for public comsumption should include your keywords.

Since the internet is driven by search engines (Google), you should take advantage of that fact every chance you get.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson1/19/2009 8:51 AM

Signature links on SUN are "no-follow" links so they will not help your search results. 
    Why?

Why SUN uses nofollow? That`s a SUN admin decision.
    OR

Why nofollow does not help search results?
    nofollow is an HTML attribute value used to instruct some search engines that a hyperlink should not influence the link target`s ranking in the search engine`s index. It is intended to reduce the effectiveness of certain types of search engine spam, thereby improving the quality of search engine results and preventing spamdexing from occurring in the first place.
    By Wikipedia

I disagree. You should always use your targeted keywords in your link, if you want to realize SEO benefits. In fact, every word you write for public comsumption should include your keywords. Since the internet is driven by search engines (Google), you should take advantage of that fact every chance you get. David Jackson  True for SEO benefit use keywords - but as I said clickthrough may or may not be targeted keywords. They might be an enticing phrase, without keywords. ~Roland
    Rolan, I know what nofollow does, what I want to know is why doesn`t Sun allow our sigs here to be indexed?  Sure sounds like it would be a good membership perp.
    True for SEO benefit use keywords - but as I said clickthrough may or may not be targeted keywords. They might be an enticing phrase, without keywords.

The poster obviously wants to realize SEO benefits from his sig file.

Therefore, it really doesn`t make any sense to write a sig file without keywords, when it`s just as easy to write one that contains keywords.

David Jackson 
    Rolan, I know what nofollow does, what I want to know is why doesn`t Sun allow our sigs here to be indexed?  Sure sounds like it would be a good membership perp.

I agree
  • profits4idiotsprofits4idiots subscriber Posts: 0
    Hmm... I guess I need to optimize my signature as well. Yet, I still believe that signatures should convey a thought that you want people to notice. Mr. Jackson`s signature is very direct and has good wordings which could assist not only in SEO but also in getting good clicks.
    Mr. Jackson`s signature is very direct and has good wordings which could assist not only in SEO but also in getting good clicks.

Thank, Paul!

I try to practice what I preach.

David Jackson
  • sunkist219sunkist219 subscriber Posts: 0

Yeah I agree as well.  I mean, I`m not a spammer, but I`m much more likely to contribute to a forum if I know I can get/share links.  A good way to eliminate spammers is just to require a certain amount of posts before you can have your signature displayed.  This is what forums.digitalpoint.com does and in my opinion, they`re the best online forum I`ve been to.  Is there a way to let StartUp Nation know that this is something their users want? For a list of forums that DO follow signature links look here - http://www.myseoblog.net//2008/05/11/li ... ignatures/ 
    This is what forums.digitalpoint.com does and in my opinion, they`re the best online forum I`ve been to. 

I`m a savvy marketer, and a member of DigitalPoint forums. Sorry, but they can`t hold a candle to this forum, or several others that I belong to. It`s a very juvenile forum in my opinion. That`s why I`ve stopped posting there.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson2/3/2009 3:21 PM