WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Can Directories Improve Your Search Engine Ranking?

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
A lot of marketers are under the mistaken impression that if they submit their website to a bunch of directories this will somehow improve their search engine ranking. Unfortunately, this just isn`t true. So where did this myth originate? I don`t know exactly, but I think a big part of the problem is unscrupulous marketers offering to submit people`s websites to thousands of directories for X amount of dollars. Newbies see these ads and think they`ve hit the proverbial link jackpot. They don`t realize that there are really only a handful of directories out there (give or take a few) that are respected enough by the search engines to significantly impact your website`s ranking. And that includes Yahoo and DMOZ, plus a few specialty directories. And even those directories won`t help your ranking much if the rest of your house isn`t in order.

Dale King

DaleKing7/4/2008 12:39 PM

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I`ve never believed in the idea of just submitting to every directory you can find. So many of them just cover "General" areas, and don`t stand out from any other directory. I`ve never seen them send much traffic, if any, to any sites I`ve worked on.
    Niche directories can be viewed differently, as they are pretty much covering only the topics/subjects which are the same as your site, so you have a rather focused audience visiting the directory.
    In essence, getting listed in one niche directory will probably be more beneficial for your site than getting listed in 100 general directories.
    Good post, Dale.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Getting listed in one niche directory will probably be more beneficial for your site than getting listed in 100 general directories.

Perfect. Well said, Michael. Thanks for your contribution to this thread!

Dale King
    Hi Dale,
    I agree that submitting to a bunch of directories won`t dramatically impact your rankings but I have used the tactic to get clients listed fast.  Sometimes we will build a site and they need at least their website name in Google within a week for a promotion...directory submission can help.

Hello Jeff:

Again, that`s part of the myth I was referring to. You don`t need to submit to directories to ge listed fast. You can get the same exact result by posting in forums like this one. Or by making comments on blogs. Any type of website that`s already listed in Google will do the trick. It does not have to be a directory. How do I know? Because I`ve used this method successfully many times to get my own clients listed in Google faster.

Dale King
    DaleKing7/7/2008 7:13 PM
  • RealVibezRealVibez subscriber Posts: 0
    The answer was perfectly delivered in this article 10 SEO Myths Debunked that SearchEngineWatch linked to.
    The answer was perfectly delivered in this article 10 SEO Myths Debunked.

I`m familiar with that article. It`s a good one.

Dale King
    I also agree with all you but we can`t ignore directory submission completely. Somewhere directory submission is also very important. We need it.

No one here is suggesting that. Read my post carefully.

Dale King
  • arsenarsen subscriber Posts: 0
    Directory submission helps SEO "indirectly". Depending on where and how it is submitted, can help back linking. Back linking is "good". The more back linking, the better and higher results.
    But as you said, it is not the end all strategy.
    As we know, SEO is about "many" tactics... directory submission is one of many tactics (but happens to be on a low priority scale). Especially, since the search engine algorithms now exclude much of the directories in getting the rankings higher. Obviously because of the marketers in the early days who abused this tactic.
  • LeadMaverickLeadMaverick subscriber Posts: 0
    SEO Book did a really extensive post on directories. See it here http://www.seobook.com/archives/001583.shtml
  • charlottenclockscharlottenclocks subscriber Posts: 0
    I also agree with all you but we can`t ignore directory submission completely. Somewhere directory submission is also very important. We need it.
  • KagimisKagimis subscriber Posts: 0
    When choosing the best directory to submit website addresses to you will find that there are thousands to choose from. However, not all directories are created equal. If you want to get good results with your directory submission you need a directory that offers only PR4+ links. This will guarantee that you are listed with the best sites on the internet. In addition, this type of directory will offer more benefits than a directory who lists any site on the web. To increase your search engine results you need association with highly ranked sites
  • KahapkuKahapku subscriber Posts: 0
    This page describes a number of free, legitimate search engine optimization techniques to improve your search engine ranking in natural search results. Search engine optimization, or SEO, is the process of optimizing a web page or web site to boost its rankings in search engines such as Yahoo and Google.
    Using one or two of the following SEO tips in isolation is unlikely to boost your natural search results -- with the possible exception of the first three techniques. Using all of these SEO techniques together, however, is a potent formula for improving your search engine rankings -- especially if you continually do so as part of an SEO program.
  • satisnet-techsatisnet-tech subscriber Posts: 1
    Directory Submission is the simplest way to link building and among them some are beneficial with link backs.
    Yes they improve your seacrh engine rankings. All you want to do is to make the best use of keyword in Anchor Text Linking where ever possible.
    Because you will find that more the keyword present on other web page as Anchor Text Linking to your site, good will be for Keyword Rankings.
  • lennondevidlennondevid subscriber Posts: 0
    You say right. Search Engine Ranking can be boosted by directory to your website.
  • rackmarkinrackmarkin subscriber Posts: 0
  • stevepearlsstevepearls subscriber Posts: 2
    Yes, of-course, If your building link in quality directories that has good pr and they provide do-follow back-link, then definitely it supports for ranking in SERP's.