WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Tax deductible building repairs.

al4alexal4alex subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2009 in Business Planning

Last year we leased an old warehouse for our future children`s museum. Our agreement with the owners was that we paid a symbolic $10 lease and $ 20000 for necessary repairs to the structure.After that our lease will be $ 24000 per year. Is there any way to deduct our $ 20000 investment from income tax? Thanks.

Comments

• MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    Agreed 100% with Mark. If it is a business expense, I don`t see any reason why you couldn`t use this as a deduction.
    The way I have learned it is that as long as you can justify that the expense was for business purposes, it is a business expense.
  • davebarnes04davebarnes04 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey Al4alex,
    My wife and I just did the same sort of thing with our business. We just file our taxes, so I get this straight from my accountant. Yes it`s deductable as a biz expense and is known as a "Leasehold Improvement".
    Good luck on the Museum. If you get your website going let me know. I can set you up with a revenue stream as an affiliate on one of my sites: http://www.ScienceMuseumGifts.com