WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Biz Magazines

theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
edited June 2006 in Thought Leadership
I just started to receive Make magazine. It`s great. For an inventor, this is great inspiration.I also subscribe to Business 2.0 and Forbes. And I check out the Investor`s Business Daily every chance I get.What magazines do you all think are can`t-do-withouts for entrepreneurs, small biz owners, inventors, etc.?

Comments

• ArtAndAdornmentArtAndAdornment subscriber Posts: 0
    I like entrepreneur.com and pinkmagazine.com for women (I really wish they chose a different name).  I come across many biz mags like these at my day job so I don`t subscribe.  For me, the opportunity to `speak` with people and get feedback is very important at this stage in my startup so SUN is my number one choice - Ladies Who Launch (.com) use to have a forum on their site but no more which is too bad, I thought it was one of their best aspects.
  • JIOTJIOT subscriber Posts: 0
    I also love Entrepreneur and Fortune Small Business.  Great topics, ideas and inspiration in both. 
    Helen, you mentioned LWL...I joined a while back and noticed that their fourms were not very active which was disappointing to me as well because it could have been a great aspect.  Along that line though, there`s another forum that might interest you that you should check out if you haven`t already heard of it.  It`s theswitchboards.com, their tagline - Connecting Creative Women in Business.  The forum is very active and is a virtual goldmine for women owned creative businesses looking for tips and support.
  • ArtAndAdornmentArtAndAdornment subscriber Posts: 0

Along that line though, there`s another forum that might interest you that you should check out if you haven`t already heard of it.  It`s theswitchboards.com, their tagline - Connecting Creative Women in Business.  The forum is very active and is a virtual goldmine for women owned creative businesses looking for tips and support.

Thanks JIOT - I will definitely check them out.
    LWL forums were a bit bare but I felt it had a lot to do with them not being as well known at that point - I still like reading their Featured Ladies section to gain insight and motivation.

• OfficeSpaceJeffOfficeSpaceJeff subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Everyone - FYI on this topic.
    I just became a columnist for INC.com and will be writing a monthly column for their One-Person Business Resource Center.
    Here`s the link to my 1st column:
    . html
    Hope you find it entertaining & useful.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks - Jeff.
  • theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Nice work Jeff.Looks like a promising column. I love how you mixed in lots of humor.
    Matt
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    I think Business 2.0 has good resources, entreprenuer magazine is good too.That is where I get most of my information and other case studies.
    Thanks Matt - I appreciate that
  • Cre8iveOneCre8iveOne subscriber Posts: 11
    For me it`s:General BusinessBusiness 2.0, Entrepreneur, Fortune Small Business, and Forbes (by the way, kudos to Jeff, Rich, and the entire SuN family for the honorable mention on 05/02/06) magazines, and the WSJ`s Start Up Journal website Event/Wedding PlanningSpecial Event, Martha Stewart Weddings, Gift Basket Review, Gifts & Decorative Accessories, and several bridal mags
  • HOWARDHOWARD subscriber Posts: 3
    I like Crain`s New York. It gives a lot of information on trends throughout many industries. They sometimes list trade shows and events. I know that they have other location based issues too.
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Fortune Small Business and Fast Company are my favorite generic business magazines.  I tend to check out Business Week`s web presence on a regular basis.  My favorite design industry business publication is HOW Magazine (I`m a bit biased as I am on the magazine`s Editorial Advisory Board)- J.
  • workfactorydaveworkfactorydave subscriber Posts: 0
    We have a local (Richmond, VA) business magazine called WORK Magazine that is doing real well. We also recently started a business resource center, The Work Factory, as an outgrowth of the magazine. We`re hoping the branding will be complementary.

-Dave
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    have any of you picked up a copy of "Worthwhile Magazine"?
    it mixes in some entrepreneurial "i did it myself" stuff with other lifestyle stuff. pretty cool concept and pretty good execution.
    rich 
  • misterwicks2006misterwicks2006 subscriber Posts: 11
    if you visit eBaY, there are college students selling mags. - i got thirteen editions for $10/3 yrs. / another trick is join a catholic college library(or visit), they have all kinds of trade journals and periodicals on newstand / see which you like. I found some interesting ones besides the popular kinds / and `Time` etc. even offers great articles on biz from time-to-time...those popular biz ones are sometimes not better choices!!
  • VannieVannie subscriber Posts: 0

Hi Everyone - FYI on this topic.
    I just became a columnist for INC.com and will be writing a monthly column for their One-Person Business Resource Center.
    Here`s the link to my 1st column:
    . html
    Hope you find it entertaining & useful.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks - Jeff.

Congrats. Jeff.
    A good article. Not sure how I missed it. Have passed it on.
    I recieve the following
    Hard copy:
    1 to 1 magazine for customer relations how-to info
    Revenue magazine for affiliate program information

Online:
    WSJ`s Start Up Journal, http://www.startupjournal.com/</A>
    Entrepreneur http://entrepreneur.com/</A> 
    Inc. http://www.inc.com/</A>

Thanks Vannie - I appreciate that.
    If you haven`t read the June column yet, here it is:
    . html