WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Celebrating Veteran Business Owners

beckfordbeckford subscriber Posts: 3
edited December 2007 in Veterans
As someone pointed out on another thread, there doesn`t seem to be enought attention to the skills, abilities, and sheer determination that veterans bring to entrepreneurship.  One path I`ve decided to take toward changing this is to write a book.

I would like to profile veterans who have started their own businesses, hightlighting the ways in which their military backgrounds have helped with their businesses (in both a personal and professional sense). I would really be interested in speaking with anyone who might be interested in participating. In case you`re wondering: yes, I can write, I`m published, and I`m serious about doing this.

If you think you might be interested, please contact me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    marsha,

i think this is a phenomenal idea.

i will blog about it immediately and link to this forum posting...

(DONE!)

rich
    Rich12/19/2007 1:05 PM
  • Options
    Thank you! I really appreciate your help in getting the word out.
  • Options
    LaCremaCoffeeLaCremaCoffee subscriber Posts: 3
  • Options
    Hi LaCremaCoffee,
    Great site! There`s just something about a good looking cup o` joe...

I`ve posted a preliminary survey. If you`re interested it`s on the page of my website titled `Veterans.` That seemed the quickest way to get it up.

Or, you can got straight to it at:

http://app.icontact.com/icp/sub/survey/ ... cid=194749

• Options
    Hello,

I have posted a preliminary survey at the below site. If you`re interested please take a moment to complete it. It should take about 15 to 20 minutes. I say preliminary because for those interested, there will be a second part asking for more detailed information. This first part is for gathering general information on how you feel your time in the military has benefited or hindered your business.

None of the sections are required, but I would appreciate your taking the time to complete them. If you have any questions or comments, please don`t hesitate to contact me.

The survey can be accessed on the last page of my website (Veterans), or directly by going here: http://app.icontact.com/icp/sub/survey/ ... cid=194749 Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    OldNikkoOldNikko subscriber Posts: 0

Ms Ford;

I`ve completed your survey (in a rather "complete" way)... please feel free to follow-up as you see fit.

I am a retired USN/Vietnam vet and long-experienced entrepreneur. As such, I have considerable philanthropic interest in working with veterans from all of our military services & conflicts. I have made available to all veterans the full services of my current online presence, which is quite considerable. I am currently in process of building/moving everything I have to my own private servers. One of the features of this new venture will be no-cost start-up assistance to wounded warriors and their families. This will include ALL business training (web & B&M), starting from any level, initial no-cost web-hosting, with some website creation and marketing assistance. (Limited numbers of no-cost scholarships for combat vets to be offered, based solely on a needs/ability assessment.)

Nick (Aka: "The DooPreneur")
    GM, The www.EntreComm.Net & www.ECNInstitute.com

• Options
    spookspook subscriber Posts: 0
    I am a veteran business owner. I provide Home Inspection services to the Red River Valley of the North. I am launching a new concept in Home Inspection called PHOTO-Spect.  This concept reviews digital photos sent by homeowners to us for review.  I will answer any questions you might have. e-mail: www.rivercityhome.blogspot.com
    Let me know what you think!
  • Options
    Wow, OldNikko. I think your work and plans for helping other veterans are fantastic. I`m much newer in the business-owner category, but really want to have the same kind of focus on helping other veterans. I`m a service-disabled veteran and even so often think about how many other veterans had it harder than I did and how fortunate I am.

And thank you for taking the time to complete the survey for me. I really appreciate it.While Rich posted about a survey, which I also appreciate, I`m really working on a book about veteran business owners. I`ve written books for other people on other subjects, so why not turn that `talent` into helping to promote veteran-owned businesses?

Thanks again and happy new year!

• Options
    Hi Spook,

Over a year in business; congratulations! Have you started providing digital reviews yet? Would they be for complete home inspections or for particular needs like insurance claims? It`s an interesting idea, and one that I think customers might appreciate the convenience of. Good luck with it and please let us know how it works out.

And thank you for responding to my post. I`m really hoping to gather stories from different parts of the country, different industries, and different veteran experiences.

Thanks again and happy new year!
  • Options
    SuperSuper subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi all. I was doing a search for veterans in business and found your site.

I am a disabled veteran, and have been in business for about 8 years now, and know the struggles these folks go through.

I have started an organization for veterans to gain exposure to their businesses, network together, interact...ect.

The organization is Give A Vet A Chance. We are a 501C3 non-profit organization.

If you are ever looking to hire a Veteran or Disabled Veteran Owned Business, we would appreicate it, if you searched our site, and gave the vets a chance.

We are growing every day, so if you check back from time to time, you wil see more businesses, and other veteran charities listed there. Ther is a forum built in, for everyone to enjoy, and will be loaded with all kinds of information for them.

Oh,, did I say, it is at no cost to the veterans?

If you could check it out, maybe write a blog, or even pass the word around, we would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Dave
    Give A Vet A Chance

www.giveavetachance.org