WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Unemployment Benefits

Dave3000Dave3000 subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2007 in Home-Based Businesses
Hi.  I`m new to this forum and website and I`m hoping someone can give me some information.  I`m currently employed and have thought about starting a side business, but I have a concern.  I live in Michigan where unemployment rates are pretty high and I`ve been downsized twice.  The last time it took me about a year and a half to find another job, and the only thing that really kept me going was receiving unemployment benefits.  I`ve been employed for three years now, but at a company with a very high turn-over rate.  I`d love to start something on the side but I`m really concerned that if I do and it brought in a bit of money but nowhere near enough to support me I`d be in trouble if I lost my day job.  I guess my question is how would a small side business affect unemployement benefits if I lost my job?  Does it depend on how much the side business brings in, or would any side business make you ineligible for unemployement benefits.  I know this sounds a bit pessimistic but after two downsizings I`m a little gun-shy about leaving myself vulnerable.  Sorry for the long post but any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    Hi Dave. This is Michigan`s Unemployment Insurance Agency`s "contact us" page.  I`d say that`s likely your best bet.
  • Options
    Dave3000Dave3000 subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info.  I gave them a call.  They told me that any profits from a side business would affect the amount of unemployment benefits received but would not necessarily eliminate them.  The example they gave: if someone had a side business that generated $100 a week, and they lost their main source of income, the side business would cut $50 from their weekly unemployment check.  In other words, you wouldn`t be left high and dry, which was my concern.  By the way, this is for the state of Michigan - I don`t know what the rules are for other states.