WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Creating a new brand name

ChrisHChrisH subscriber Posts: 2
I wanted to tell everyone about a new tool online to help create brand names, called brandfetch.com.I`ve been an entrepreneur for a few years now, and I find that coming up with that perfect name for a product, service, or company is exceedingly difficult. Not only finding the name that will stick, but also getting the domain name, making sure no one else has the name, etc. etc.So my company, LucidData, created brandfetch.com. It`s a completely interactive interface that gives you categorized word lists (e.g. Finance, Advertising, Physics, etc.), a fast domain search, Google stats on the name you come up with, and more!Check it out next time you need a name!All the best,Chris

Comments

• DavidDavid subscriber Posts: 3
    That sounds interesting.  Do your word lists come from keyword searches online for available domains or from an automated dictionary-like list?    
  • ChrisHChrisH subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi David.Right now, we have pulled the word lists from a variety of academic and public sources, and integrated in a dictionary to give the mouse-over word definitions.However, your idea about keywords is something we are *very* interested in doing. Google actually has a search parameter "~" that finds terms like the one you are searching for, and searches for those too.Another thing we are working on, in the "web stats" tool on Brandfetch is using this Google "similar word" functionality to give you a list of related words to your brand ideas ... so you can see what some associations may be.Enjoy the site!That sounds interesting.  Do your word lists come from keyword searches online for available domains or from an automated dictionary-like list?    
  • DavidDavid subscriber Posts: 3
    Exactly.  It wouldn`t be too hard for your programming team to integrate a function for example, that tells the user the frequency of a certain word in a sampling of press over a certain year.  A tweaked Google feed could easily do that for you.
  • ChrisHChrisH subscriber Posts: 2
    Right--You might have noticed also in the mouse-over word definitions that we have places for "Google score" and "Namer score"--we are going to populate the "Google score" with each word`s frequency on Google, and the "Namer score" with how often users save each of the words using Brandfetch.Great feedback! Thank you!If you can think of additional functionality that you would find helpful if you were creating a name, please let me know!