WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What Anti-Virus Protection Do You Use?

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
I used the paid version of Norton Anti-Virus for years, until recently. On a recommendation from one of my readers, I tried the free version of AVG 8.0.
Well, its been about 3 months since I switched and I`m ready to give you my analysis.
In my opinion, AVG 8.0 provides better overall protection than Norton. I especially like the new SafeSearch Link Scan feature where the software checks search results when you use one of the major search engines against AVG`s database for known malicious sites and warns you of the potentially harmful link.
What about you? What anti-virus protection do you use? Are you happy with it?
David Jackson

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I have used Norton....makes my computer so slow, zone alarm... now I had so many security issues i finally got a gov pack and everything seems to be running more smoothly.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    AVG 8.0

Spy Bot Search & Distroy
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    I also use AVG8, both the free edition on one computer and the paid on another.  Norton is a tremendous resource hog and slows your system considerably.
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Norton is a tremendous resource hog and slows your system considerably.

I definitely agree with that.

David Jackson
    I have used Norton....makes my computer so slow.

That`s one of the things I hated most about Norton.

David Jackson
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I run AVG 8.0 on the advise of my computer service tech.  It takes less resources and works better.  He`s also the one that recommended I switch to FireFox Browser.  Both have work very well.
  • otakuriderotakurider subscriber Posts: 1

I have been using a product called clamav for many years on my clients and my local including server machines.  It works on Unix, OSX and windows.  I also have found it has database updates for virus at times faster then the larger commercial products.  I also like the idea of its open source model. 
    Pat
    Otaku Systems LLC
    www.otakusystems.com
    info@otakusystems.com
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    As an exercise, go find an old fashioned yellow pages and see the ratio of PC repair to Mac repair - if that doesn`t tell you to get a Mac, nothing will.

All that shows is the relative market sizes of the PC and MAC worlds.  More people use PCs so more people will service them.
    Macs are just as vulnerable to virus and trojan attacks as PC`s, but the harvestable data is so much more plentiful in the PC world, that`s where the hackers focus their "talents".
    As Willie Sutton the bank robber said when asked why he robbed banks, `because that`s where the money is`. 
  • CasiCasi subscriber Posts: 5
    AVG for me!  I made the switch long ago when my Internet Explorer had been hijacked.  Norton would find the infected file and tell me it was infected but couldn`t do anything about it.  AVG was able to get rid of it.  I now have three AVG licenses for three different computers.
  • otakuriderotakurider subscriber Posts: 1
    While currently Mac`s are on average a smaller target it is not to say that that as they increase overall market share that will change.  Yes Mac`s are designed to be more secure do to the underlying Unix security structure (admin account for maintenance – usage of non admin account for day to day operations) the largest issues will and has come from the applications that interact with the system.
    This it becoming more and more the avenue of attack,  Browser flaws(clickjacking, buffer-over-flows, etc), PDF reader flaws, etc..; make headlines in security circles almost daily.  The greatest way to keep systems secure is security in layers and it can be the most difficulty to keep up with. 
    It need to be remembered “ the hackers need to be right only once ”otakurider2/24/2009 9:38 AM
  • MerchantProfMerchantProf subscriber Posts: 0
    I think Nod32 is the best AV product. It has the fastest scanning engine, best VB100 record and a very small impact on your computer. It is also an enterprise product, so it`s set up to be manageable by your IT person.
    Check it out.
    Also, in your security lineup you need to have a hardware firewall, such as found in your router. Make sure you change the password to your wireless router or anyone driving along down the street will be able to get into your network.
    I think Nod32 is the best AV product. It has the fastest scanning engine, best VB100 record and a very small impact on your computer. It is also an enterprise product, so it`s set up to be manageable by your IT person.
    Check it out.

I`m more than satisfied right now with AVG 8.0. So, I`m going to stick with it. But I`ll keep Nod32 in mind for the future.

Thanks for your suggestion!

David Jackson
    DavidJackson2/28/2009 7:37 AM
  • BJ_CBJ_C subscriber Posts: 2
    I use kaspersky but sometimes it was very slow.
  • ahnaliaahnalia subscriber Posts: 0
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    AVG all the way. free, easy and upgradable. love the service they are providing. i have it on my home desktop as well as my 2 laptops.