WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What to do?

Zeta111Zeta111 subscriber Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in Selecting a Business
I know that I should decide for myself what business to lead basing on my abilities and interests, but what to do when you seem to have no interests at all? I want to start my own business, but only for one reason: not to work for someone (not a very noble goal, probably, but anyway)) ). I`m going to do an online business: to make a website and to earn money via Google Adsense. But I seem to have no passion for anything! Could you  give me advice as to what steps I should take at least to try to find out what fascinates me, because it probably can`t be so that I have no interests at all! How to reveal them?

Comments

• ElementalUnityElementalUnity subscriber Posts: 3
    There are many places where you can.  You can go to google trends and see what people are looking up, go to amazon and see what people are buying.  Yahoo Buzz.  I did have a list of like 100 places to find niches, I will look it up for ya, if you like.
    And is that the only way you want to monetize your website?  Google Adsense?
  • Zeta111Zeta111 subscriber Posts: 2
    ElementalUnity, thanks for the advice.
    As for monetizing a website, I don`t know other ways. Affiliate programs perhaps?
    Also I thought about an internet-shop, but i don`t want to re-sell something, I`d like to sell something I could create, but what to create is unresolved question for me
    for the time being.

patentandtrademark, actually I keep a diary (where I revise my goals), but will it help? So far it seems not..
  • RanksIntlRanksIntl subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello Zeta!

Yes, it is difficult to start a business if you have no interests and no passions.  However, to be fair not wanting to work for someone is a passion so based on that you have a bit of a start.  If you care enough about not wanting to do that then you may well have enough drive to make whatever venture you go into a successful one.  Look at it this way: you could start a job that you hate and have no interest in and be great at it(I know from prior experience).  So, start researching, if you look deep enough at all of your opportunities you will also very likely find something that interests you...I said that I had no interests or passions once upon a time but ended up finding something I love to do.  If you go to my site www.RanksIntl.com you will find a link to a site with business ideas and maybe that`ll be a good start. 

• jimmack89jimmack89 subscriber Posts: 0
    I know that I should decide for myself what business to lead basing on my abilities and interests, but what to do when you seem to have no interests at all? I want to start my own business, but only for one reason: not to work for someone (not a very noble goal, probably, but anyway)) ). I`m going to do an online business: to make a website and to earn money via Google Adsense. But I seem to have no passion for anything! Could you  give me advice as to what steps I should take at least to try to find out what fascinates me, because it probably can`t be so that I have no interests at all! How to reveal them?

you want to start your own business , First of all make a study and anlayisi of the business you are interested in , I would suggest you a business of real state for that you do not need to invest much but will get a good profit and will be benifited from both ends.

• ethanlevin123ethanlevin123 subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi ElementalUnity,
    Well we are all waiting for your list. I hope you have it by now. Please post it so that its useful for beginners like us.
    Thanks in advance!!
  • CPA4RealCPA4Real subscriber Posts: 1

Hi Zeta,
    This may help you get a start on brainstorming some ideas. http://www.keirsey.com/sorter/register.aspx
    "The Keirsey Temperament Sorter®-II (KTS®-II) is the most widely used personality instrument in the world. It is a powerful 70 question personality instrument that helps individuals discover their personality type. The KTS-II is based on Keirsey Temperament Theory™, published in the best selling books, Please Understand Me® and Please Understand Me II, by Dr. David Keirsey."
    Take the free quiz (takes about 20 minutes, I think) to get an idea of your basic personality type (Guardians, Idealists, Artisans, or Rationals).  Based on the results, you can research your `temperament` (personality type) in the personality or work zone on that site.  
    Another similar site is http://www.personalitypage.com/home.html
    It may be that you know your interests, you`re just having a hard time imagining those as a potential business idea.
    Good luck!
    Crystal F. Cassidy, CPA
  • suejenkssuejenks subscriber Posts: 0
    You have to have a DREAm or you will never ever see a dream come true.
    If you really rally can`t find anything that interest you need to look at some videos that will shock you to the core. The shock could just be the thing you need to give you a passion to do something and help others.
    You may then find that a business you run is specifically to raise funds and indirectly help that cause or you may even decide that you want to fight hands on ,on the front line!
    Nothing will ever come your way if you havent got a BIG enough REASON!