WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Website namedomain name questions

stateofaffairsstateofaffairs subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
I own a blog site that has a similar domain name too another site. My site would be named, for example, conditionsoflaw.info and another site would be theconditionsoflaw.com.
If we were both using The Conditions of Law as our trademark
ame, would there be a way of protecting my rights to use The Conditions of Law as my trademark.
I was unaware of it at the time when I created my site, but my competitor was already using The Conditions of Law on his site. I am not attempting to restrict his rights to use the name but simple protect my rights too.  I feel I may have no ground to stand on if they were to dispute my use of the name and am hoping for any advise related to issues like this. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    stateofaffairsstateofaffairs subscriber Posts: 1
    On the other person site he has no copyright stated anywhere. I believe my only concern would be of his right to a trademark name such as The Conditions of Law, but he also does not state that anywhere as well.
    I know this might be a hard question, but if I was to trademark The Conditions of Law, pending it was available, would that protect my rights to my site?stateofaffairs10/16/2008 10:48 PM
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    While intentional copying makes things worse, doing so in ignorance is not a defense.  Copyright registration of a website and registration of a domain name and registration of a trademark are three different things.  You should discuss this with your lawyer.