WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Looking for input on conveying brand in my site

NetmomNetmom subscriber Posts: 5
edited June 2007 in Website Critique
Hi all!
I am so excited to be able to finally have my site ready for final revisions. I want to have it reviewed for clarity of products and the brand offering. I will be sending it to friends and family initially before a formal launch to the public next week. One thing that is not complete is the shopping cart feature which the designer is still working on. The other thing I know needs to be addressed it the products page and its navigation. I want to make that a smooth transition but I need suggestions on how to do that without being overwhelming to my visitor. Thanks in advance for your time.
www.panasall.com/chitchatchew</A> Netmom2007-6-6 22:32:41

Comments

• InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Your site is quite nice. Here are some things that would help amplify your brand image, or tighten it up, or whatever you`re looking for.1. Better typography.2. Larger logo.3. Better copywriting.
  • NetmomNetmom subscriber Posts: 5
    Your site is quite nice. Here are some things that would help amplify your brand image, or tighten it up, or whatever you`re looking for.1. Better typography.2. Larger logo.3. Better copywriting.
    Thanks for the response. I don`t know what you mean by typography (I`ll be Googling that one). When you say larger logo is that in the banner? I will have to talk tothe designer about that. How big are we talking? As for the copywriting I read that article and am trying to figure out the best way to apply it. this is my first retail site (my other sites have been informational portals or sites for consulting services) so this is a challenge for me. Thanks so much for your time.
    Thanks Craig, I thought it was actually going to be worse...lol
    I have incorporated some of what you said. A special thanks on the heads up on how it looks in other browsers. The most troubling of course is the "by the way what the he%% do you do anyway" thing. I am trying to balance being too wordy with telling everything on the front page. I will have to give that some thought. To clarify, we have a line of food and craft products which are coupled with the Chit Chat Cue Cards to do as an activity together while the food is cooking or you are doing the crafts. It combines food and crafts with a sort of group game. Did you look at the Chit Chat and Chew page? Is that clearer? If so maybe I should shuffle things around based on that. Am I getting close?
    I know the featured item link is not live. It is part of the shopping cart piece that is not finished yet. I am also changing the products page to illustrate samples of the Cue Cards on the front page. then when users click on a product they have been introduced to the card concept already and can see a sample of them. I am also adding a picture of them as well.
    Thanks again for the input it is so very helpful!

Oh and I know I am TOTALLY lost on SEO on this, I really need help there. I am getting a book and talking to my designer in the am. Or should I say later in the am?
    Ok folks I have made some changes and would like to know if this is clearer in communicating what are selling. I tried to address the copywrite issue and took what Craig and Cookie said into consideration. Thanks again!
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Typography: Unique styling of the text on your site. Not necessarily unusual fonts but just something a bit better than bland text styling. I know more about branding than the average joe but I am not an expert on this subject...not by any means. Have you looked at the web sites for national brands that you use in your home? This is a great way to get ideas... inspiration... Rather than give you a bunch of tactical advice, I`ll recommend:1. Get a book on brand strategy. A short one such as "22 Immutable Laws of Branding" and a weightier tome as well - maybe "Designing Brand Identity" or "Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind". This is probably the best way to get the ins/outs, as these books are written by experts.2. Communication/Marketing strategy. This is much trickier for me to provide advice as it is a complex topic. But spend a few minutes or a few days thinking about your strategy in these areas. Then write a list of objectives. 3. One problem that I notice - with ever increasingly frequency - is the "tactical soup" approach to entrepreneurship. I`m not sure about your level of experience or knowledge, but using a tactical approach is good for shorter term stuff, or quick obstacles/objectives. Longer term success, with respect to marketing, communication, and competition, requires some strategy so as to prevent you from wasting time and energy on "limitless attempts to succeed via tactical operation". Please let me know if you need additional information.
    Hi all!
    Craig it is funny that you mention the backstory on how the product came about because it was there originally and I removed it. I need to rethink that. I recognize the need for picture to demonstrate and was already looking into that. But there is a shortage of pictures that convey the product so I am trying to shoot some. Your comments echo how important that is. 
    I will digest what I have gotten and get back to you on this. You and Cookie are the best!

• eventbrandereventbrander subscriber Posts: 6
    Hi There!

I think I need to see a physical cue card on the front page. I`ve revisited your site 3 times tonight and just couldn`t get the message right away.

The cookies are confusing me. As a first time visitor I thought you sold cookies and was ready to buy. They look so good they distract me from your message.

How can you help me stay connected and what exactly are the cue cards? Do you do advertising with these cards and how does that work? Are you selling these to families or giving them away? Are families really your target or businesses?

I`d work on making the message clear on first site.

Chris

Ok I get what you are saying. Do me a favor, can you go straight to this page and take a look at it? http://www.panasall.com/chitchatchew/chitchatchew.html</A> 
    (I know about the overlap in the font on the tab already, boy is that annoying...) In looking at it from this as the front page is the offer clearer to you? We sell a combination of our "game" and something. In this case it is food lines, starting with cookies. If I moved the explanation of the Cue Cards to the individual products pages would that help with clarity? By the way the cookies are great and you can pronounce all of the ingredients.
    The challenge is that I don`t sell one thing and the lines are diverse with the Cue Cards as the common thread. I wrestled with this when I did the site because I was concerned that there would be this confusion. I want the site to convey that the overall brand is we make tools to connect families, couples and groups through our interactive "game and..." product lines. We also create content along these lines for businesses.
  • eventbrandereventbrander subscriber Posts: 6
    The messaging is becoming clearer but the website layout and imagery does not showcase the 3 different messages you`re trying to send.

When offering quite different services on one website you run a bit of a risk. Your layout and messaging needs to be very apparent and easy.

This is how I would approach it. I would remove the flash on the main page or change the content. The flash is too family oriented and not message oriented. I`d remove it honestly or change the messaging to say exactly what you do.

On the main page we need to have 3 clear visual messages with good copy. I`d break it up into 3 sections or 3 objects.

One would be shop our fabulous selection of food brands. Then give them an action to shop now.

Number 2 section would be learn about the Chit Chat Cue Cards, "A fun way for families to celebrate together"

Number 3 would be: See how Chit Chat brands can work for your business. This option could be smaller as a visual element. I can see you having to market this directly to businesses in a separate campaign.

And there you have it. You can talk in more detail in your content pages. The important thing is to put the user on a clear engaging path to learning about what you`re offering.

Chris
    Great idea! As I said that was my concern from the beginning and I certainly see your sugestion as a way to accomplish that. I will let you know what I come up with but certainly think you are right there with me on what I was trying to accomplish. I think that can account for why I was so very non commital to any one thing on the home page in retrospect.
    Good ideas Craig! I am working on a solution and hope to unveil a revision to you all that will incorporate much of what we discussed. Thanks again for taking the time to help me!