WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Online Business Idea

aiflinaiflin subscriber Posts: 6
edited October 2008 in Selecting a Business
Hello Budding Entreprenurs,
                      I am very desperate to start a website based business. My background is in Information technology. I have around 4 years of experience in Java/J2EE web development and I have interest in finance and movies. I have heard about lot of people making money through online advertising. I am really looking forward to try my luck too. Can anyone please suggest me some ideas for my website ?
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Craig. I really like the idea. But, my enthu went down, when I saw a website doing similar things. it`s called boxofficereport.com. Can you suggest something, which is better than what this website is doing or some other better idea.. ?
    Many Thanks
  • Options
    kamolahykamolahy subscriber Posts: 27
    Think about this..
    If you start an online advertising company and your idea is that good, there are plenty of juggernaut companies who have a good chance of wiping you out or redoing your idea faster and with more money. It can be daunting. I`d be careful.
    On the other hand I have to agree with Craig. Try your hand at something unique and niche. Implement your own way of advertising into that and all of a sudden it`s your unique business that`s fueling a number of things.
    I`ve heard time and time again from investors that they turn away companies with a revenue model based on advertising. Build into your company a few ways of making money, so when one of them doesn`t pan out, the others may.
    Good luck and message me if you ever have questions. I have a good bit of experience!
    Collin
  • Options
    grimygrimy subscriber Posts: 2
    All people ask the same question and get many replies to
    their queries, don’t know whether there are really benefited. There are lots of
    ways to make it going online but if my opinion is to be considered I think that
    you should make a good research before you indulge in anything. So creating
    your own video sharing website is a very good idea to earn money. I also made a
    site couple of months ago with help of omnisoftsol 
    OmniSoftSol develops web solutions designed to make you serious profits. His VidsharePro
    is a video sharing script that not only allows anyone to start a video sharing
    website, but also allows anyone to sell digital as well as physical products on
    their video sharing website.
    grimy2/21/2008 7:13 AM
  • Options
    Thanks Guys. I think the key is to come up with some idea. I am thinking !!!
  • Options
    jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Here is your million dollar idea. Act quickly because this one will be snapped up in no time.
    Here goes. Ever heard of a fanmercial? It`s a video commercial written and produced by fans of a certain product or company. You can find some on youtube now and the superbowl ads from two years ago for Doritos were fanmercials. Well here`s the idea. Create a video sharing site. Allow users to create commercials for their favorite products. Here`s where the millions come in... Companies put up prize money for the best fanmercial utilizing their product. Let`s say $500 or $1000. The visitors of the site vote for each video and the one with the most votes wins.
    This would be viral marketing at it`s best and the companies wouldn`t have to put out much money (even including your fee).

Oh and the last time I checked...Fanmercial.tv was still available.

jwatkins2/28/2008 2:45 PM
  • Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    if your experience is in IT, creating a beautiful site is not your challenge. your challenge is SEO and marketing your website.  if you like finance and movies, try creating a website around those topics that is full of good information. be careful, this area is saturated so pick your twist and unique proposition. offer something of value and your base will build. you can then earn money doing what you are thinking about right now which is ad revenue.  take a look at my sites below, i make a lot of money from ads.  ofcourse i have some websites with hundreds of pages.  the more the merrier, but the info has to be good too.

good luck and let us know how you do!