WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Received a large order from the Ivory Coast-Need Help!

cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
edited October 2008 in Sales
I received a very large wholesale order from the Ivory Coast. I am not sure of how to proceed with this. I sent an email asking for full name, address, phone number of business. Said first orders are COD. I figured we would get a diaglogue going and I could take it from there. The reply was I am paying with my company credit card. So I am now thinking I need to get payment up front, is this advisable? How would you proceed?

Comments

• cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Janie:

Thank you. I will do that as this will help further validate this order.

Colleen
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all,
    Just my thoughts on the matter.  I`ve run several small businesses.  I never extended credit to a first time buyer.  First  time buyers were required to pay up front with cash, credit card or cashiers check for their order.  This allowed me time to run a background check on their credit history and get their banking information.  Several times, background checks revealed the new customer had lengthy credit problems or was a bogus company. nevadascul10/8/2008 4:04 PM
    To Cartess, Pam and Nevadascul and of course Janie:
    Thank you all for your responses, this is extremely helpful. I have taken certain steps in establishing the validity of this order and so far they have come through with everything I have asked for such as Pam`s suggestion about Tax ID and business license. I am following up on Cartess` response and Nevadascul`s suggestion. My main concern is to still consider this valid until I have proven otherwise.
    Thanks again.
    Colleen
    Janie:

Yes, people can search a number of ways and find me.

Thanks again.

Colleen
  • suzibsuzib subscriber Posts: 0
    The Ivory Coast is in Africa.......be careful.........alot of fraud comes and goes out of that region.