WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

I Found My Passion-Website Critique Needed

cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
edited July 2008 in Website Critique
I started as a metalsmith, but due to a diagnosis of malignant melanoma took my design experience and designed a Sun Safe Clothing line. Working on a strict budget my site is through Yahoo, I would love to have your feedback on the site. I launched on Memorial Day Weekend which I thought was very fitting for the beginning of the summer season. Let me know what you think, I value your opinions.

Thanks.

Colleen

Comments

• Options
    startuphelperstartuphelper subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m going to be very blunt. The website leaves a lot to be desired. For a clothing website you must jazz it up. The home page is very boring. Get some clothing pics on the home page. Peferably on live models (they don`t need to be fashion models, friends or family will do). Check out some other websites for ideas to see what works.

And do invest in a manequin to photograph the clothing. The way you show them on a hanger they hang horribly. That small investment will really pay off.

• Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    I don`t think the site is as bad ad Sylvia says, but her suggestions are dead on.I do not like the home page.  It really does nothing for me and takes ten seconds to finish the opening flash before I get the navigation bar.  Just use the last image and a headline and subhead designed to encourage further looking.On the "Pearl" page, I don`t like the mouseover that obscures the image.  If you want to do a mouseover on the image, then make the normal image a bit darker and the moouseover image correctly exposed.  Also, make the text under the images a link also.You only mention that the pieces are for sale on one page.  I would put this on the home page.  If selling the pieces is your goal, then there should be a "call to action" on every page, even if it is to contact you.
  • Options
    Sylvia and Steve:

Thank you, just what I am looking for, some honest feedback. I definitely need to make the clothing come alive, that is my next step, had planned on doing last weekend but it didn`t work out.

Colleen
  • Options
    Gary:

Thank you for your encouraging words and I hope all is well regarding your health. I have made a list of all the helpful information I am receiving and will be working on the site to enhance the designs and the information. I read everything I can regarding health, cancer etc. and will incorporate what I have learned on the site.

I have joined Facebook where I can reach the one segment of the population where melanoma is increasing and the trend is in thicker and later-stage melanomas; young women between the ages of 15 - 39 years old.

Thanks again.

Colleen
  • Options
    Eajerome:

Thanks for the feedback. You are right about the models, I am working on that right now. Not as easy as I thought it would be, bringing everyone together in the right setting.

Colleen