WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Lurker Gets Smart!

jcarenjcaren subscriber Posts: 3
edited February 2008 in New Member Welcome
I have been lurking here for a while now and have finally decided to wise up and start contributing! I am a former Corporate Event Planner who did not want to return to that crazy life after my daughter was born. I have always been a photography buff so I decide to start a business doing what I love and what I am passionate about!
I have had my business for about 5 years and am doing OK, but 2008 is my year to GROW! So hopefully I can help some and learn some while I am here!
Thanks for a great community...looking forward to meeting everyone!jcaren2/23/2008 11:43 AM

Comments

• RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    jill,
    the transition from lurker to "exposed entrepreneur" is a difficult one. hope you can breathe your way through it...
    glad to know you`re among us on the boards here and would love to know what some of your ideas are for growth.
    here`s one idea (and then maybe we should get things going in a more appropriate forum category):
    partner with complementary entrepreneurs. a dog groomer can partner with a new carpet installation company. a moving company can partner with an apartment complex. capice? find an entrepreneur who would help you connect to more customers and vice versa...
  • cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Jill:

Do you have specific business plans for 2008 growth?

Good Luck and Welcome.

Colleen
  • jcarenjcaren subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone!
    I am in the process of revamping my business plan. I have had a retail store for the past 3 years that I will be closing this month. The online store does much better than the brick and mortar..it was a hard decision, but best for my family and my sanity! I am working on a marketing plan for 2008 since now my focus will be solely online as opposed to mostly local.
    I am also aggressively putting a PR campaign together - that is my primary focus once my website is 100% complete with the services I offer....
    I am hoping being a member here will open my eyes to some things that have worked for others....as well as learn about things I know nothing about yet.....like affiliate marketing...
    I appreciate the warm welcome!
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    (i`m interested in hearing this answer from Jill, too, but wanted to suggest that lurkers-turned-posters are not coming out of the closet as much as coming out of the kitchen, basement, garage or similar breeding ground for the next great business!)
  • jill8026jill8026 subscriber Posts: 0
    I think I lurked for so long because I do not feel I have enough wisdom to "share" enough...which them makes it hard for newbies. So many of these forums are so "clicky" (NOT saying this one is of course!)....that it is sometimes hard to get responses to questions and get feedback.
    There are so many "entrepreneurs" that are looking for the easy way to success by having things fed to them on forums like this....that I have noticed many forums kind of "ignore" the newbies until they have kind of proven themselves as hard working dedicated people......
    I decided to break out and give it a whirl here b/c it DID seem different...I have seen lots of newbies here ask questions and get answers.....GOOD answers!!!! 
    I am hoping this is the site where I can learn...grow....and give back when the time comes......just wanted to make sure it was "the right fit......time is limited and wanted to make sure it was spent in a great place!!!!
    jill80262/25/2008 1:03 PM
  • cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Jill:

Glad you jumped right in, which is what I did when I first joined. Eveyone on the site has been welcoming and are open and honest.

Best of Luck!

Colleen