WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Has anyone had an article in a magazine?

InspiratorInspirator subscriber Posts: 2
edited January 2008 in New Member Welcome
I`ve been looking for a published freelance writer or a PR company to help me get a story in magazines.  I tried on my own and all my queries were denied.  Of course, I won`t give up.
What magazines have others been in?  Is there anyone with such experience?
Thank you
Motivating Decor

Comments

• cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Yes I was featured in a magazine, and newspapers. The magazine came about from someone seeing my work and knowing a writer for this publication and then I was contacted. The newspaper articles came about due to my being juried by the curator of the Smithsonian to have my work in the White House. You should send out press releases frequently and to many different publications. Contact your local newspaper, take out an ad and ask them to do a feature on you.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Good Luck!

Colleen
  • InspiratorInspirator subscriber Posts: 2
    Thank you very much.
    That`s encouraging.
    I`ll contact the local paper again. 
    I researched the magazines, read their back issues, reviewed their writing style and format.  I contacted the magazines for their submission guidelines and then sent queries.  I need to perfect my magazine queries to grasp attention and intereset. 
    I also submitted articles to magazines that accept writers freely sending articles.   Yes, Passion, Patience and Persistence.  Keep smiling.
    Tomorrow is a new day with new possibilities.  I know things will work out well.

• RicWillmotRicWillmot subscriber Posts: 14
    Inspirator, Craig has nailed it!
    I have had over 100 "different articles" published in more than 40 different publications around the world but mainly in Australia.
    I am frequently quoted in the media and interviewed by all mediums (but rarely television). More frequently on ABC-Radio here in Australia and by Qantas Airlines Business Radio. It takes tenacity and patience to be picked up by the media, but finally when they do, as long as you are good, they will keep coming back to you.
    I have never used a PR firm or anybody else to have my work published. I write because I enjoy it and believe I have something worthwhile to say.
    Keep at it, but heed Craig`s advice!
    Rgds,
    Ric
  • InspiratorInspirator subscriber Posts: 2
    Thank you guys for the great advice.  I will follow the your advice.
    I appreciate all of your responses.  It means a lot to me.
    Bridget
  • cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    I have to go back and read Craig`s posting.