WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Any hints on grabbing the eye of a celebrity

cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
edited January 2008 in Sales
Things are going too slowly for me, I want to move forward faster and quicker, I am a metalsmith, jeweler, designer, if you could check out my website and let me know what you think    www.bronsteinartwork.com

Thanks for any feedback.

Colleen

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    I just want to say that I love your work..the first neclace that appears on the right is gorgeous! Then that green one...WOW! Beautiful. The site is nice, I like how it tells a story. I would add a logo maybe. Have you tried using press releases to get your pieces into magazines? How about offering up some pieces for celebrity events or auctions or sending a pice or two to a celebrity?

Erin
  • cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Erin:

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start working on them.

Colleen
    Mary Kay:

That sounds great, would love to have the contact.

Thank you.

Colleen
  • studiocheriestudiocherie subscriber Posts: 6
    Here are my two suggestions:
    1.  Go where the celebs shop - LA.  Make your work available to buy in person in LA.
          a. Participate in a trade show
          b. Hire an LA area sales rep
          c. Use your credibilty as an award winning artist to make appts yourself and go to LA

Here is why you want to be in LA area boutiques:  First of all, there is a difference in power of a press release that shows you gifting your jewelry to a celeb at an award show (very expensive thing to do, by the way,) and one that says Brad Pitt was caught buying your jewelry at a Rodeo Drive boutique.  Even just getting into the boutique in the first place can become news and get you some mileage.  I got over 38,000 hits on my release when a Rodeo Drive boutique picked up my bags.

Secondly, the boutique owners know the influential people - the producers, the stylists and all of the other support people who influence celebs.  If a heavy hitter likes your stuff, word will get out, but people have to know where they can get it.  It`s more effective if they have a place where they can physically go to try on and see your jewelry.

If you tell everyone you know that you want to get into the Los Angeles market, you may be surprised at the connections you already have.

2.  Don`t give to a rich person.  Give to charity.  A Seattle couple auctioned the wife`s wedding ring and gave the proceeds to charity.  The couple were interviewed on NW Afternoon (KOMO TV - Seattle) sometime during the first half of November 2007.  The interview aired while the auction was live.  I would link here but don`t have the link saved.  Maybe a similar gesture by you would get positive local TV coverage for you.

When I don`t reach the levels of success I imagine as quickly as I imagine, I remember that a lot of the people who I used to think of as overnight successes were practicing their craft and making their connections for years before their success became public knowledge.  As an artist, I know that as long as I am, I will do (do, be, do, be do.)  As a business person, I support my husband in ways that motivate him to keep his day job.

I will talk to my web designer, he is young, just out of school and I know he was looking for "flash" even though I said do not use flash....I know I need some updates, thanks for taking the time to really look through the site.
    And thanks for the info on eWomen and networking that is on my list of to do`s. 
    I will be doing a wholesale show in February in Phila, am looking forward to this event.
    Cherie:

Thanks for the great advice, this is certainly a good reason to visit LA. Everything I read goes down on my to do list and I am checking off each one I have accomplished. This is the year of "just do it."

Your press release was quite impressive.

Thanks again.

Colleen
    Jennifer:

Thank you for the feedback, I will check out the site and think how I can implement your suggestions.

Colleen
  • MattCMattC subscriber Posts: 10
    Hi,

Definitely beautiful pieces.  I just want to reiterate what Nikole was saying... I didn`t know it was an eCommerce site when I first opened it up.  Even after clicking around a bit I never saw how you actually purcahse something.  Many people might think its more of a showcase than an actual store.
    Matt:

Thanks for feedback. I am definitely rethinking the site design. Actually most of the artists I know from the "national juried shows" have a site similar to mine, a showcase. So I have to stop thinking like an artist when I am building a site and start thinking like a business person.

Colleen
  • stelkastelka subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Colleen!

Nice work! I agree with Cherie. Not to discourage you, but you may have a long road ahead of you. It is one thing to have a product, or even a great product, but what you really need is marketing and to create buzz. For those of you that don`t know me yet, I am the creator of luck inspired apparel and accessories line and a recent winner of StartUpNation`s Top 100 Home Based Business`s contest. I started my company Lucky Stella in 2007 on a shoe string budget, and so far have not turned profit as all expenses are going for production costs and most importantly marketing to `educate` the market as to the meaning of my line that was inspired by an ancient evil eye amulet and is meant to ward off the evil eye and instead attract positive energy and luck. Just a few days ago I returned from LA where I was invited to participate in the Pre-Golden Globes Gifting Suite where I personally gifted celebrity moms, dads and their tots with my products. Media, publicists and PR reps were also invited and I was able to speak with them individually, explain the concept behind my idea and personally gift my products to them in the hopes of them being featured in the magazines, TV, etc. Even though I did not see the clip, but I was told that Louis Lombardi (who picked up 4 of my `Lucky` hats) was interviewed by ExtraTV while wearing one of my hats. I have also been reviewed by MomFinds.com and expect to receive additional coverage soon. This is not not mention that I have a list of Hollywood`s Celebrities that I can credit with pictures who are now the proud owners of the Lucky Stella`s Lucky Eye apparel. They loved the products so much that I ended up depletng my inventory. I was advised to bring 50 gifts and 100 promotional items, but instead my team and I brought about 400 and we returned home to NY with empty suitcases and a couple of additional orders from the celebs. This was a very costly marketing ploy, but I am working it and hoping that it wil pay off. There are many ways you can get your products out there like street fairs, trade shows, etc., but I strongly believe in marketing and selling yourself and not just a product.
    If you wou would like to review my recent press release to get a better idea of the event and view just some of the pix of myself and celebs, here is the link: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/1/prweb628311.htm

May Luck Be on Your Side!
    Stella
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    One thing to keep in mind that you may not want to start now as the writers strike has REALLY crippled the industry.  I`m planning on a campaign similar to what you are doing but the Writers strike is the only thing that is keeping me from moving forward with this campaign.
    PM me and I can give you some places to try...once the Writers strike is over.
  • stelkastelka subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Janie! I have been actually  personally invited by the Hollywood`s celebrity persona Jayneoni Moore to participate in this event. However, there a ton of marketing and PR agencies who are always looking for someone to contribute their product to a celebrity gift basket or personally attend the actual gifting suite like I did. One of the agencies I worked with in the past is Madison & Mullholand. I sent 50 of my Lucky hats to be included in their basket for the GRAMMY foundation benefit honoring Quincy Jones, however did not get much publicity from that.
    Stella 
    Janie:

I should get in touch with Sundance Film Festival?

Sounds like a great opportunity for you.  Good Luck!

Thank you.

Colleen
    Stella:

Do you think it is worthwhile for me to contact them?

Thank you..

Colleen
    Janie:

Thank you for the link. I will check this out. If too costly, I will explore other avenues. Nice to know we have options.

Colleen