WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Trends in Business name

carianncariann subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2008 in Business Planning
I have noticed alot of companies, be it professional, retail, or even design peopel are just using their names. Is that a common trend now? Is there anything behind that. Is creating a creative name and a logo a thing of the past? The reason I ask is that I am thinking of some business names and thinking maybe I should just use my name.
Cari

Comments

• Options
    kamolahykamolahy subscriber Posts: 27
    I agree with Steve on the fact that it depends on your industry. Really think about it.
    For example... typical Web 2.0 companies that pop up all the time like to pick names that sound goofy and nonsensical, usually just 1 word. (Joost, Joomla, Meebo, etc.). They do it because web domains are so often taken and they want something short and memorable.. even if it makes little to zero sense.
    Companies that use the name of a person, last name or whatever, tend to be more "professional" services that want a degree of dignity. Financial groups are a big one with this.
    Ultimately, you don`t want to mislead your market... every second that a bit of your business graces their consciousness, they`re taking notes on who you are. You can`t be a financial consultant and call yourself something goofy like Hakdator, Flizpe, or Jipopi... (you get the idea).
    But a web company that calls itself Johnson, Breyer and Sons will sink away from anyone`s radar.
    Focus on your market and what they would perceive as sheik, interesting, and trustworthy. Test it out in some focus groups. Let them give you a gut reaction.. if the name doesn`t work change it.
  • Options
    carianncariann subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It really helps me alot. I have been getting into sewing and making purses, wallets and some other small nic-nakcs. My mother-in-law is a quilter so I was thinking about putting some things I have made on her website. I was thinking of just using my name for my "company" since I made them and created the designs. My logo would just be the tag I sew onto the bags.  I have almost created the logo for a tag, I will post it soon for any comments. Please let me know what you initially think of it.
    Thanks again.
    Cari
  • Options
    daleyfla99daleyfla99 subscriber Posts: 1
    My creative company is maskercreations.  so it uses my name but that is because it was a joint enterprise with my daughter.  www.maskercreations.net is the website and it cross brands my name with my other ventures.

Try to tag your name to the primary thing you craft.  Cari-Bags would be cute.  or Cari Creations.  Plays on your name....