WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Can’t decide

CaboBillCaboBill subscriber Posts: 13
Hey gang,
Here is my dilemma.  I need to start working on a web site for my Cabo Loco Apparel.  I cannot decide if I want to sell online.  All of the shirts, wrap pants, dresses, etc. that I want to sell, I make myself.  It takes me about 5 hours to make one Cabo Loco shirt.  I guess I am affraid of success because I fear that if I try to sell online, I will get burried in orders and will not be able to bail myself out.  Would I be better off letting people in the local Tampa-St. Pete area know where they can get them and dealing with special orders?
As always, I look forward to everyones help and insight.
Bill

Comments

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Bill,
    I have a motto: "Go big, or go home." Saying this is not a slam against you - just something to think about. But if you really believe in your product, find a way to make your products faster than 5 hours - otherwise, I don`t see how you can go big.
    Many sewing jobs have gone offshore from America. There are literally towns full of ex-sewers that I imagine would love to work for you. Another option is to have your shirts made offshore unless you have an adversion to that and want to go total US made - your choice. But you do have many options beyond hand-producing the apparrel yourself.
    In small business you can not be afraid of success - success is a primary goal. Plan the work and work the plan.
    "Reduce your plan to writing. The moment you complete this, you will have definitely given concrete form to the intangible desire." ~ Napoleon Hill 
    Good luck to ya!
    R@ 
  • ChristinaChristina subscriber Posts: 6
    I`m with Craig on this one. I think that if people knew up front that
    there might be a wait for one of your products, they would still be
    interested in it as long as they understood why they needed to wait for
    it. A lot of people already understand the concept that quality takes
    time. If they just want some cheap hawaiian shirt, they can probably go
    to wal-mart and buy one. If they want something more unique and more
    special, they`ll have to wait.

If things took off so much that you were weeks and months behind with
    orders, maybe you could consider hiring someone to help you make