WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Alexa or Compete - Pick your poison

ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
Accepting that nobody has a great solution (yet) for measuring the comparative popularity and traffic of websites, two of the major players trying to do so are Alexa and Compete.You can see StartupNation`s snapshot on both right here:CompeteAlexaAs I said, I don`t necessarily put a great deal of stock in either measurement at this time, relying as they do on what could be argued is unscientific data, but I`m curious to hear about other opinions on the matter - what say ya?

Comments

• Options
    I should clarify that nobody has a great way to do this that`s publicly available at this time - if you`ve got a pot of cash, you can of course use the comscores or nielsens of the world.
  • Options
    One can easily argue that the metrics they`re using to gauge one site against another are flawed, but as far as the core issue of whether or not `popularity` matters, I would say it does to the extent that you need to benchmark your performance against those businesses you see as your main legitimate competition.Maybe not a factor for absolutely everyone when it comes to website performance, but a factor for many who rely heavily on that presence as either an integral part of their business or as the primary driver of their success.
  • Options
    Spot on, and I`d never say this is the be all end all of how you measure your website, company or anything else - but just because you don`t do that doesn`t mean that website performance can`t be a data point you use at some point.