WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

UPDATE - Simple (and free) Steps To Good Search Engine Rankings

privateinvestor1privateinvestor1 subscriber Posts: 7
Just so everyone knows I`m not blowing smoke.... re. my previous post on this subject:
"Simple (and free) Steps To Good Search Engine Rankings"
My ranking for my new site (put up on Thanksgiving day 2006) www.GettingYourMoney.com</A> is at # 18 on the FIRST results page using the keyword search on Yahoo of "getting your money" as of today (12/22/06):
?p=%22getting+your+money%22&ei=UTF-8&fr=slv8-&x= wrt&subscr=LN
Google is tougher and frankly, I have not attacked it yet. But from past experience, the same things work. I`ll keep you updated as I monitor it.
However:
The FREE stuff DOES WORK.
I used ONLY the FREE methods I mentioned in my post to get this ranking on Yahoo. (I am  also working on getting ranked with other keywords on my other websites as well.)
Don`t let yourself get bamboozled by the high-priced "SEO Experts".
Start to understand this about life:
Complicated + Money does not always = Better.
You CAN get good results without spending lots of (or any) money if you are diligent, committed and know a few basics.
Have a GREAT holiday!
P.S. WebCEO is a good SEO tool. You can get a FREE demo here:
http://tinyurl.com/ydxgjj</A>
"Whether you think you can, or think you can`t - you`re right." - Henry Ford
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Schopenhauer

[- let the flames begin   ]Chuck2006-12-23 22:19:53

Comments

• ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    There are certainly things that a site owner can do that don`t involve investing money in a consulting relationship, and those efforts can provide a visible boost to search rankings.  Generally the question comes down to how much time are you willing to invest to ensure that you`re achieving the results you need - anyone can pick up a few accounting texts or look at free information, and then try to do their books themselves, so why does anyone use an accountant?
    One minor point of clarification - a ranking of #18 is not first page - first page is any ranking between 1-10.
    And an fyi, I removed a paragraph full of unnecessary key phrases that were stuffed into the end of this post, please refrain from this type of activity - thanks.
  • privateinvestor1privateinvestor1 subscriber Posts: 7

There are certainly things that a site owner can do that don`t involve investing money in a consulting relationship, and those efforts can provide a visible boost to search rankings.  Generally the question comes down to how much time are you willing to invest to ensure that you`re achieving the results you need - anyone can pick up a few accounting texts or look at free information, and then try to do their books themselves, so why does anyone use an accountant?
    One minor point of clarification - a ranking of #18 is not first page - first page is any ranking between 1-10.
    And an fyi, I removed a paragraph full of unnecessary key phrases that were stuffed into the end of this post, please refrain from this type of activity - thanks.

Actually....If the item shows up on the 1st page of results as displayed on the browser page (regardless of its position) it IS considered the first page.
    (Remember these are called "results".  And the "result" was an entry of my website that appeared on the "first" page of the entries displayed.)
    1. As far as your allusion that there is a similar "need" for "SEO Professionals", as there are for legally certified professional services such as that of a CPA, you are comparing apples to oranges (Accounting vs SEO)
    One can be held legally responsible for personal and business financials statements. That`s why there is the professional regulation of accounting services. Hence the reliance upon a competent, skilled and certified professional in those matters. Hence, accounting also has legally recognized universal practices and standards (GAAP). There is no such standard for search engine optimization, because it has no similar standard of accountability, reliability or outcome.
    There is no similar fiduciary or legal responsibility in obtaining a certain search engine ranking.
    Even so there are still PLENTY of incompetent, yet licensed, tax attorneys and CPAs out there.
    Without going into a lot af analysis on the questionable "professionalized" status of so-called "SEO experts", suffice it to say that I still have proven and maintain that, with simple, easy to implement and FREE methods,  one does not need ANY paid professional SEO services or "consultants" to help one obtain just as good, or even better, results as the so-called " SEO Experts".
    2. What is your SPECIFIC objection to my use of "key-words" in posts?  In what SPECIFIC way is it harmful or objectionable?
    (Just curious on that one....)
    Anyway....
    as of 12/27/06
    Note yahoo entry #s  3, 13 & 14 for "gettingyourmoney"
    WEB RESULTS

http://www
    Funding Business & Real Estate Deals W/Private Investors Or Angel Investor Groups. You Need More Than A Business Plan To Get Money From Private Investors ...www.gettingyourmoney.com/rss1/firstrss.xml - More from this site

http://www.vztools.com/domainlists/expired/20060523.txt
    00004444.com 007lb.com 0086751.com 010dmb.com 010dmb.net 0112531887.com ...http://www www.gettingyourmoney.com/GYM Pages/GYMHomePage.htm - More from this site

http://thumbnails.alexa.com/image_serve ... ize=large& thumbnails.alexa.com/...?size=large&url=gettingyourmoney.com - More from this site
    "Whether you think you can, or think you can`t - you`re right." - Henry Ford
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Schopenhauerprivateinvestor12006-12-26 22:37:51
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    Actually....If the item shows up on the 1st page of results as displayed on the browser page (regardless of its position) it IS considered the first page.Actually - as I stated in my post, a result between 1-10 is considered first page, so I`m not getting the point - I didn`t dispute that search results on the first page displayed are considered "first page" (?).  I disputed the fact that you characterized your site`s #18 position as first page. Every major search engine defaults to 10 results per page, so a #18 result is simply not first page. I`ll gladly stipulate that you have a first page result (#3) for the phrase "gettingyourmoney", as you`ve cited in the second post, but that`s not consistent with the information you used in the first post. And it`s worth noting that at the time of this posting, the site is not showing up in the top 30 for the original phrase, "getting your money".As far as the SEO v CPA thing, I don`t think I structured the comparison to equate the two professions in quite that way; if it was a poor comparison due to the legal ramifications of accounting work, my bad.But to get back to the important aspects of the comparison, my general point was that there are any number of business functions that a small business owner can tackle on their own. With enough time and energy, they could conceivably try to manage absolutely every aspect of their business in house. But the myriad demands and complexity of the tasks facing a small business owner often require that they make tough decisions about where their competencies lie, and where their time is best spent.So my only aim was to call out the fact that simply saying that search optimization is "easy" is a tremendous oversimplification. For many non-competitive search phrases, ranking well can be as simple as effectively optimizing your on-site content and ensuring that search engine spiders are indexing your content.But it`s disingenuous to then extend out from that to say that search optimization is clearly "easy" overall, because it`s just not. In competitive fields (which are generally the ones worth caring about), the work of continuing to stay relevant and rank highly for useful phrases is just that - continual. As illustrated by the apparent volatility in your positioning for that original search result, SEO takes time and attention and diligence. And that attention and updating of knowledge/skill takes effort on the part of the small business owner. To tell them that spending money with a reputable firm that can help increase their search-related traffic in a meaningful way is unnecessary seems like poor advice, especially if it frees them up to focus on other tasks for which they`re better-suited.As far as the list of keywords I deleted, I`m not sure why I need to defend that. This forum is not a dumping ground for search spam, which keyword stuffing clearly is - if there are any questions about that, simply look up the webmaster guidelines on Google, Yahoo or MSN. This forum is for actual discussion, and a laundry list of irrelevant keywords don`t add anything to that discussion.
    Chuck2006-12-27 11:59:19
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Chuck... Get out of my head!
  • ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    Everybody needs to accomplish better inquiry rankings. That is on the grounds that natural inquiry activity is a demonstrated driver of business development.
    The main inconvenience is, SEO continues changing, and nobody needs a punishment as a result of doing the wrong thing. Google has been taking off overhauls, extending from Panda to Penguin to Google EMDs (correct match area names) and just as of late, the (PBN) Private Blog Network deindexing upgrades.
    In case you're worried about getting focused on movement without acquiring punishments, then this article is for you.
    It's essential to realize that the latest Google upgrades depend on Google's statement of purpose:
    To rank well, your substance needs to adjust to that mission. That is the reason I'm about-facing to nuts and bolts with SEO to help you comprehend the new SEO rules, figure out how to enhance for both people and robots and race on-page and off page improvement.
    This inside and out guide will walk you through the means you have to streamline and enhance your Google rankings so you can produce more natural activity to your site without getting punished.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member

Search engines ranking is the position of a web page against a specific keyword/ key-phrase in search engines result (pages) - also called SERPs.

Higher keyword rankings have always been of great interest for businesses. As a page ranking high in search engines result pages, can bring in very focused traffic to the business web page/ web presence. Which ultimately results in increase in sales.