WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

B-School for Entrepreneurship?

calvincalvin subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
edited June 2006 in Grab Bag
What are your thoughts about going back to school and getting an MBA in entrepreneurship?
I`ve been pondering this for a while, but I`m not quite sure it is necessary...
Thoughts???

Comments

• Options
    ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    In the interest of full disclosure, like Seth Godin I have one of those fancy MBAs, and I would agree that, when it comes to entrepreneurship, experience is the most invaluable teacher.
    That being said, I did note one quote you included in your blog Dean:
    "Your success in life will depend on the books you read and the people you meet."
    That`s a pretty telling quote when you reference an MBA - because regardless of how you evaluate the classroom experience, the fact is you encounter an immense number of smart, accomplished people when you`re completing an MBA.  It`s a relatively unique combination of talented people.  If your success depends on the people you meet, then you could do worse than the people you get to spend a great deal of time learning from and networking with in business school (and some of the books are pretty useful as well).
    So please let the MBA-bashing continue - just thought I`d chime in as one of the suckers  - I`m with you on entrepreneurship, if you`re set on being an entrepreneur and getting an MBA, make your focus strategy or finance or marketing - and get the most out of that network!
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Chuck,You said it! Or should I say HDean said it? I only have an AA degree from the Art Institute of Seattle. The people I met in college have proven more profitable than the course itself. That was in 1991 and I still communicate with one classmate. Matter of fact, we teamed up for a while at one point. i probably o "him" one 2.