WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I have a great idea, but I think I need a patent lawyer

chrisonline209chrisonline209 subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
I have had such wonderful ideas in my life. about 8 years ago, right after a young lady was kidnapped, I actually thought of gps shoes, and selling the service.  I went out of town and presented the idea to an electronics co, but they shot me down, saying they would cost too much to develop.  Now, I see them being sold for about $375.00 and the service is $19.95 per month.  No use crying over spilt milk though.
I have a wonderful new idea, and I am actually having the product made, it will be ready the first week of March.  Here is my delema.  Do to a recent divorce, I am pretty broke.  I am working all the time , to just survive.  I need a little help from a patent attorney, and I am willing to discuss fees, but I might need  a payment plan.   I would prefer an authorized Patent attorney, somewhere in the central Ca area to the bay area.  Any recommendations?  please email me at chrisonline209@yahoo.com</A>.  Thank you.

Comments

• patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    I have done these types of transactions with the patent application being filed AFTER the total payments have been made.  That usually works out OK for me and the client.  Unfortunately, I have also filed patent applications for clients and trusted them to pay me - that did not always work for me.  I think most attorneys will have the policy that attorneys are not bankers and if your bank and/or friends and/or family do not believe in you enough to give/loan you the money, there is probably no good reason for the attorney to loan you the money either.
  • chrisonline209chrisonline209 subscriber Posts: 1
    Wow, I did not expect such a quick responce.  Thanks Mr. Linden.  Can you tell me what the average professional service costs is to research, and file for a patent?
    I don`t know of such a number or if there are actual studies done to determine such a number.  I can tell you it will vary by [in no particular order] such things as:
    the location of the attorney,the complexity of the case,the technology involved,the amount of known prior art [such as other patents],the length of the disclosure needed to teach to make and use the invention.
  • txbassguytxbassguy subscriber Posts: 0
    do the patent yourself or just bring it to market. at times i think inventors and entrepreneurs put too much emphasis on patents. 
    great advice if you don`t mind others copying your invention - there is no law saying you have to have a patent to sell a good product and make money.