WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Low Cost Service Marketing

amcompsolamcompsol subscriber Posts: 6
edited August 2007 in Marketing
Any suggestions for getting marketing out but at low cost?  I am starting a computer services company and am trying to find ways to build a customer base (ideally of small businesses) on my very low budget.  I want to get off the ground without a loan.www.amcompsol.com

Comments

• PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    Well, the obvious answer is online marketing. There are any number of efforts you can make toward improving your search engine rankings.
    Low-tech sneak attack method that`s worked well for me: Identify local businesses that would be ideal prospective clients, and actually walk in their door and introduce yourself. Total cost: $0. (Or, more accurately, a few cents for a business card.)
    Just try introducing yourself politely and learning more about their business. Then gently suggest a way you can help them out. Don`t push too hard though. All business owners can respect somebody trying to expand a business, but nobody likes feeling like they`re being sold to.
  • amcompsolamcompsol subscriber Posts: 6
    That`s definitely a good method, the "low-tech sneak attack."  I`m curious, how do you get in past the receptionist to the decision makers?
  • PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    Introduce yourself to them first. Don`t treat them like you`re simply trying to "get past" them. The way they introduce you to the business owner will make all the difference.
    Generally I just ask them some questions about the business, and eventually ask them one that they aren`t likely to know the answer to. (In my case, I`ve generally asked a pretty technical tax question. Not sure exactly what question will do the job for you.) Then when they say something to the effect of "Ehh...I really have no idea," simply ask if the owner is around. For me, as long as I`m friendly enough (and sound like a normal person, not some slick sales guy), they`ll go get the owner.
    Whatever you decide to try, best of luck with it!
  • AccentVAAccentVA subscriber Posts: 0
    Also, from my point of view - I`m almost retired as a Legal Secretary/Assistant/Receptionist - I do everything at my office (but only until September 7 WOOHOO!!!!) - Alot of people don`t treat the receptionist with the respect they really deserve.  Nnot that often, but sometimes people overlook the person they think is just the peon, and I know at my office I have ALOT of say-so.  Just like Mike said, the gatekeepers oftentimes ARE the decision makers, because the `big dogs` don`t have time to mess with it!  Be EXTRA nice to those gatekeepers!

Just my two cents!
  • amcompsolamcompsol subscriber Posts: 6
    Also, from my point of view - I`m almost retired as a Legal Secretary/Assistant/Receptionist - I do everything at my office (but only until September 7 WOOHOO!!!!) - Alot of people don`t treat the receptionist with the respect they really deserve.  Nnot that often, but sometimes people overlook the person they think is just the peon, and I know at my office I have ALOT of say-so.  Just like Mike said, the gatekeepers oftentimes ARE the decision makers, because the `big dogs` don`t have time to mess with it!  Be EXTRA nice to those gatekeepers! And from your extensive experience, what would you say is the best way to market as a walk-in/in-person cold call?
  • CreateWhoYouAreCreateWhoYouAre subscriber Posts: 0
    I really like the work of Robert Middleton, http://actionplan.com. His work is all based on marketing professional services, and he has a lot of good, free stuff on his site (his paid stuff is great too).What services do you want to offer? More specifically, who are your ideal customers?And (speaking as one who has been working with very small businesses), I have noticed that it doesn`t hurt to serve people who have a little money, at least. Not only will they be less tight with funds, but they`re more likely to become repeat customers.You might brainstorm the problems your ideal client is going to be having, that would cause them to call you. The "pain" they are feeling that`s going to make it less uncomfortable to call someone than not to call them.