WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

ownership question

ChetChet subscriber Posts: 2
edited September 2006 in Business Planning
I`ve got a few product ideas for a small niche market b2b software company. I have a non-existant software product that I want to launch the company with and to save myself the development costs involved, I want to give up some percentage of the product`s net sales to the software developer. I`ve got freinds interested with the software programming skills required, so that isn`t the problem.
As I see it, I have marketing, sales, ongoing support, and other business expenses that need to be figured into the costs.  My question is, what is the correct % of profit to give up? I want to compensate fairly, but don`t want to give up more that I should. If I flat out hired someone to build this, I would guess it around 15 to 30K.
I don`t know what the ROI is yet, but obviously feel that it could be quite lucrative. chet2006-9-8 0:28:36

Comments

• Options
    amacgi1amacgi1 subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi Chet,
    I`m not sure if there`s a specific percentage that would be best. It seems to me that were you to go the profit route it would be best to offer a software developer the market rate of their work (15 - 30k like you said) + an incentive for taking risk on your behalf. The amount that risk is worth depends a lot on how risky the software developer percieves the project to be and how risk adverse of a person they are.
    I hope that helps some.
    Andrew
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. If I look at my competition`s product, I estimate that it is making around the 500K per year average gross sales. If I am sucessful with this, and my programmer wants to split 50% net sales, I`ve way over paid him for his time and his risk. 
    I`m really having trouble creating a fair and equitable partnership that would work for the both of us. Plus, I want an escape clause, if things don`t work out between us or I if I decide to go with another development partner from the start instead of my friend, I need to setup the arrangement the same given either scenario.
  • Options
    Any other responses to this? I appreciate Andrews response, but could use other opinions and anyones advise that has done this.