WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Howdy from DFW

RunumRunum subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in New Member Welcome
New guy here.  I guess a little history is in order.  I was in manufacturing for 22 years.  Left that to go into teaching.  Loved the kids, didn`t like the system, meetings, paperwork, etc.  During my teaching time I invested in some real estate.  So last May I decided to become self employed.
Well, when everything is going OK with the RE I am getting restless.  So now I have begun my first internet business.  I have been browsing for a little while.  This is exiting..  I still have to learn about the marketing of this business.  I am contracting out the design and it should be finished in about a week.  I have a local target market.  I have a marketing plan and a method to measure its effectiveness.  I am also documenting everything with the plans of replicating this web business into other markets.
I will probably take some more time to read some more information before I say too much.   Thank you to all of you that have contributed to this site.

Comments

• RunumRunum subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Eric.  My website is focused on my local county.  It`s a board where the people can list their events for free and the readers can see the listings for free. 
    My designer should be done in the next week and I am keeping busy with market strategy.  Once the traffic counts are up I will begin selling ad space.  I`m really trying to document everything so I can see what works and doesn`t.  My biggest hurdle is to get people to go to the site.
    Thanks for the welcome Eric.  I welcome all suggestions, this is a new area for me.
    GregRunum8/6/2008 12:38 PM
  • jennieloujennielou subscriber Posts: 1
    Greetings Runum and Eric:

Hello all, I am just brimming over - even if I am going to make mistakes - its all good - my organization just accepted its first member - via LinkedIn... its all really good - http://getsmartmoodle.org is really doing quite well for its 2nd week - I am very excited and pleased at the progress even if there will be steps backward from time to time... and to have been approached by my new business contacts in europe is just wonderful... too - meeting others is just the highlight of my day...

Very Best to you in your venture on StartUpNation...

Jennie
  • googleguygoogleguy subscriber Posts: 47 Bronze Level Member
    Hi Runum,
    Best of luck with your new venture!! You should post your website for review (once it`s done) in the website critique section of this forum. It is very helpful to get the views of others before you get to far into development.
    Welcome and again...... good luck.

www.searchmarketingsystems.net

• jennieloujennielou subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the advice,

Once its done is an understatement - Currently the site is looking just like a moodle - once a moodle always a moodle... but I am looking at other ideas to see about changing her stripes... I also want to have dimdim installed on the system as well as moodle-google apps, and that is just the beginning - it will be sometime before she is ready... but for now GetSmartmoodle.org is a functioning moodle to this point... and we shall see what happens next...

My best news today was that I got a Member thru Getsmartmoodle`s being accepted by LinkedIn.com as a startup organizaton. That was the best...

have a great day...

jennie
  • RunumRunum subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the welcome.  My addy is johnsoncountyevents.com  We provide a community service for the whole county, not just one city.  We encourage our viewers to list their noncommercial events on our page for free so that other viewers in our county can see what`s going on and attend local events.  Right now the final details on the page are being ironed out and the marketing materials are being readied.  We are tying the roll out of this with the beginning of school and fall events.  Take a look for yourself.  I`m open to suggestions.Runum8/8/2008 5:06 PM