WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

5 Keys to a Profitable Website

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited March 2009 in Marketing
There are two types of websites on the Internet - those that make money and those that don`t. Obviously, if you`re a "for profit" company, you`d rather be in the former category.
So what makes a website profitable?
In my opinion, there are five important keys:

1. Content -  In my opinion, nothing is more important than the content on your website. This is where everything starts. Quality content is what will attract prospects to your website in the first place. Unfortunately, many websites have lousy content or no content at all.
That is inexcusable, in this day and age. If you don`t have the ability to write quality website content yourself, there are services that will do it for you affordably. Following are three of the more reliable services:
1. http://www.thephantomwriters.com
2. http://www.articlealley.com/writing.php
3. http://www.articlesbase.com/article-writing-service.php
Whatever you do, don`t have content on your site that confuses prospects.
If you sell pet supplies, don`t have banners on your site advertising satellite television. Don`t laugh. There are websites that do this. If you`re going to have banners and advertising on your site, makes sure they`re relevant to the overall theme of your site.
For example, if you`re a small business consultant, your site should have content that focuses on business tips and strategies for small businesses...period.
If you`re a website designer, your site should focus on content your prospects can use to improve the design and functionality of their website. And if you`re a lawyer, your site should focus on legal tips and strategies.
See my point?
Always be true to what you are, and don`t confuse your prospects. Confused prospects don`t buy!

2. Traffic - Traffic is the lifeblood of a profitable website. And nothing attracts traffic like quality, helpful content that focuses on solving the problems of your prospects. Focus on content, and the traffic will come.
 3. Conversions - History tells us that on average 98% of prospects who visit your website won`t purchase anything on the first visit. Again, that`s an average. Your conversion ratio could be higher or lower. Obviously, the higher your conversion ratio, the greater your profits. However, the strength of your sales content (copy) will determine your site`s conversion ratio.

4. Follow-up - Because the great majority of prospects who visit your site won`t purchase anything on their first visit, you must have a way to follow-up with your prospects. In my opinion, the best way to do that is with an interesting, informative newsletter. Use an opt-in form on your website, to capture your prospects e-mail address. Just make sure you don`t spam your prospects, and make it easy for them to opt-out of your mailing list.
There are numerous companies that provide a newsletter delivery service. Three of the best services include:

http://feedblitz.com

http://aweber.com

http://constantcontact.com

5. Repeat Business - There`s no two ways about it. Your business needs a repeat customer base to survive. Without it, your business will fail in the long run. Again, this is where well-written content comes into play. Stay in touch with your customers via an interesting, informative newsletter, like I mentioned earlier. Send out new offers regularly, and keep your customers informed about new and developing products.
David Jackson

Comments

• davebarnes04davebarnes04 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Kidsofcalifornia,
    I was just looking at your site so I could get a feel for your statement about repeat business. Have you tried offering referral incentives when a customer makes a purchase? Maybe give them a card that says something like:
    Refer a friend and they`ll get $10 off and you`ll get $10 off. Have the cards made so they`re porferated and they can tear off half for a friend.

• davebarnes04davebarnes04 subscriber Posts: 0
    Quick note KidzinCA,

Just under your Tracy & Kate dresses feature; your paragraph of text is all mashed against the cell wall. Might wanna check your paragraph formating there. Nice looking site though...
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    So true, especially number 5!  I feel that is where my business really faces a challenge.  Since we sell for children`s special events we don`t get a  huge amount of repeat business.  I am working on ways to improve my site to make it relevant for people to come back.

I`m a huge proponent of article marketing. I`ve found articles are like catnip for attracting prospects to your site. Try posting some relevant clothing articles on your site. If you keep your content fresh, prospects will return regularly to read what you`ve posted.

And isn`t that the whole idea - to keep `em coming back?

The more times prospects return to your site, the greater your chances of converting them into paying customers.

David Jackson
  • proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1

There are two types of websites on the Internet - those that make money and those that don`t. Obviously, if you`re a "for profit" company, you`d rather be in the former category.  Hello David, I like #2 Traffic on your list. And, by the way, a great article you`ve written here with some helpful resources, thanks. Speaking of traffic, I`ve been getting tremendous milage from articles I post on my Squidoo pages. I mean, I`ve been talking up Squidoo lately because the thing is, well, it works! It has far exceeded my expectations traffic-wise and yeah, it`s free. Take care,  
    Hello David,
     I like #2 Traffic on your list. And, by the way, a great article you`ve written here with some helpful resources, thanks. Speaking of traffic, I`ve been getting tremendous milage from articles I post on my Squidoo pages. I mean, I`ve been talking up Squidoo lately because the thing is, well, it works! It has far exceeded my expectations traffic-wise and yeah, it`s free.      Hello Chuck: Thank you! I`ve heard good things about Squidoo, so I`m not surprised it`s working for you. Have you heard of   HubPages?  That`s one of the resources I use that`s working well for me. Very attractive and professional platform. David Jackson
  • proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1
    Hello David,
     I like #2 Traffic on your list. And, by the way, a great article you`ve written here with some helpful resources, thanks. Speaking of traffic, I`ve been getting tremendous milage from articles I post on my Squidoo pages. I mean, I`ve been talking up Squidoo lately because the thing is, well, it works! It has far exceeded my expectations traffic-wise and yeah, it`s free.      Hello Chuck: Thank you! I`ve heard good things about Squidoo, so I`m not surprised it`s working for you. Have you heard of   HubPages?  That`s one of the resources I use that`s working well for me. Very attractive and professional platform. David Jackson
     I`n in David, thanks! Just sent you a message. You should consider setting up on Squidoo as well. By the way, any luck with Kontera PPC?
    I`n in David, thanks! Just sent you a message. You should consider setting up on Squidoo as well. By the way, any luck with Kontera PPC?

No problem, Chuck. I didn`t receive your message yet. Regarding Squidoo, I really don`t care for the platform. I like Hubpages much better, and it`s basically the same thing.

Kontera PPC? I don`t use PPC advertising at all. In fact, I`m in a very unique position where I don`t need to utilize any paid advertising whatsoever. You`d be amazed how much consulting business I get from my blog, articles and from forums like this one.

David Jackson
  • cgengocgengo subscriber Posts: 0
    Anyone want to take a look at my website and give me some ideas? I`m very much trying to drive more traffic to it and increase my email list. I am a heavy user of Constant Contact.

I do know I need to refresh my content, and I have started a newsletter, but I am currently waiting for my webmaster to update my site to a CMS system so that eventually I can get right in there and make the updates myself , especially when I need immediate updates.  I currently don`t have a link on the site to my newsletter and blog but it is hosted on a social network called Modern Italian Network, http://my.modernitalian.org/members/group.asp?id=32599

I also think I need to increase my market base and am investigating some ideas that would allow me to attract business outside of my geographic area. Right now the mainstay of my business is a local preschool and Italian classes and events for children, so it keeps me limited. If I want to reach a wider audience I believe I need to offer something else. But what?

Thanks for the forum David.
    -Carolina

Anyone want to take a look at my website and give me some ideas? I`m very much trying to drive more traffic to it and increase my email list.

Carolina, you`ll probably get more of a response, if you post this in the  Website Critique forum.

David Jackson
    Thanks David. I asked because I saw that someone gave feedback to kidsofcalifornia on her website in her previous post. I didn`t know about the Website Critique forum. I`ll take a look. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Carolina
    cgengo3/4/2009 12:15 PM
    Thanks David. I asked because I saw that someone gave feedback to kidsofcalifornia on her website in her previous post. I didn`t know about the Website Critique forum. I`ll take a look. Thanks for pointing it out.

No problem, Carolina. I realize you didn`t know about the critique forum. That`s why I mentioned it.

I had a spare moment,  so I took a quick look at your site. Overall, your site isn`t bad. However, on your home page it wasn`t  clear to me what it is that you do. I don`t know if you teach kids how to speak Italian, cook Italian or what.

You should make it crystal clear to visitors what your site is all about. For example, if you  take a look at my blog, you`ll see that I make it crystal clear to visitors what my blog is all about. As soon as you land on my blog it says:

"Free Marketing Tips Blog - Providing Free Marketing Tips For Your Website or Blog!"

There`s no question what my blog is about. That`s the kind of clarity that you should strive for with your website. In addition, your site needs more content. You should add articles to your site that are relevant to your sites` overall theme. This will help with your SEO efforts, and search engine ranking.

David Jackson 
    DavidJackson3/4/2009 5:00 PM
    Awesome David! Thanks. I took a look at your blog quickly and immediately saw several tips I will use. I intend on giving it a more thorough look when the kids are in bed.
    -Carolina
    PS vote for me!

Awesome David! Thanks. I took a look at your blog quickly and immediately saw several tips I will use. I intend on giving it a more thorough look when the kids are in bed.     You`re quite welcome, Carolina. David Jackson

I have done many many ways to let my site have more visitor as Traffic,but always it is unstable. Focus on your site`s content, as I suggested in my article. If you do that and you`re patient, your traffic will eventually stabilize. Patience is the key. You can`t exist online for only a month or two, and expect miracles. Building traffic takes time, unless you want to pay for it. David JacksonDavidJackson3/5/2009 1:58 PM

Amen to that, and don`t jump the gun and `buy` traffic from an aggregator (Special! 1 Million Hit Just $24.95!), that traffic is typically useless and often automated.

Good point, Perry! I wrote an article warning people about that particular scam, titled,  "Internet Scams and the Realm of Gullibility."

David Jackson