WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

referral income

lainhklainhk subscriber Posts: 5
edited December 2006 in Sales
I have a online informational resource business focusing on providing women with regional info ie/ Health, Jobs etc.. Currently I am relying solely on advertising - but because my website is new, I have not generated enough hits to charge a great deal for advertising. On my site I plan to install a online gift registry. I want to approach various vendors (ie/ gift shops) and offer a no sign up fee to be part of the gift registry, but want to either have referral fee/buy wholesale etc.. any advise on how I can generate income from the gift registry?

Comments

• yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    Get someone like Google Adsense to supply you with PPC ads.
  • lainhklainhk subscriber Posts: 5
  • designInsidedesignInside subscriber Posts: 1
    Pay Per Click which is an advertising model where advertisers (you) pay for click-throughs to their website.  Most of the popular search engines use this model.
     designInside2006-12-5 0:37:8
  • lainhklainhk subscriber Posts: 5
    Thanks both, but Im looking for more of an old fashioned system for vendor relationship. Most vendors dont have websites, ie/ small shops, so needing to come up with incentives for them to come on to my gift registry.
  • yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    The vendors don`t need to have websites. What you`d be doing is making money from the traffic. Let me see if I can explain using an example. Take a look at http://www.sumadh.com http://breakingnews.bn.gs you can click on the white square button at the bottom right and read up more on how Google Adsense works. Why do I feel like I`m selling for Google for free? I know it`s not what you have in mind but this is just my humble advice based on experience.   I`ve found that it`s better to focus on generating traffic than to be chasing advertisers or vendors for referral fees. With someone supplying the ads for you, you can focus on creating great content and generating traffic. By setting up vendor relationships, you`d be giving yourself more work - which is fine by me if it`s fine by you - You`d have to not only create content that people would want to see but also chase the vendors for money. Now, I`m not saying don`t set up those relationships if they`re staring you in the face. I`m just saying take a careful look at your revenue model.