WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Capitalizing on Current Events Can Generate Huge Sales

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited July 2009 in Marketing
The Skip Gates, Sgt. Crowley arrest debacle which has been dominating news headlines for the last week or so, will finally culminate with the principals sitting down and having a beer Thursday evening at the White House with President Obama. A company called Zazzle has actually created a product line based on President Obama`s "stupidly" phrase.
Sales are reportedly through the roof.
And even though Michael Jackson`s been dead for more than a month, the media still continues to give him unprecedented attention and airtime. Why? Ratings. Any news about Michael Jackson generates huge ratings, and the media is all about ratings. Because the bigger their audience, the more they can charge advertisers.
Speaking of bigger, Michael Jackson has proven to be bigger than both Elvis Presley and John Lennon,  according to Guardian News and Media Ltd.,  which is reporting unprecedented worldwide demand for Jackson`s music.
In addition, Michael Jackson websites are popping up all over the place, selling all kinds of Michael Jackson products - many illegally I`m sure.

Even USA Today, the nations top-selling newspaper has gotten in on the act, according to Entrepreneur magazine.

The bottom line is current events can generate huge sales. My question to you is this: Have you ever capitalized on a current event? If so, please explain. 
David Jackson
DavidJackson7/29/2009 8:17 AM

Comments

• CasiCasi subscriber Posts: 5
    I can`t say that I`ve ever capitalized on a current event but I do monitor "Google Hot Trends" on iGoogle.  It`s an app that provides the top 100 search queries by day and by time.

I suppose that to take advantage of one of these hot topics, one would have to offer a product or service that is relevant to that event.  For example, if I am searching the internet to read about the Obama / Harvard news story and someone cleverly takes advantage and brings me to a Cambridge tax accountant`s office, I doubt he`s going to get my business.

As an aside, you may recall that on the day that the Erin Andrews peephole story broke, millions of people hit the search engines trying to get their eyes on that video.  Instead many of them got viruses and trojans from unscrupulous sites who took advantage of the situation.
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    If I am searching the internet to read about the Obama / Harvard news story and someone cleverly takes advantage and brings me to a Cambridge tax accountant`s office, I doubt he`s going to get my business.

I can see your point. I guess it all depends on the offer, how it`s presented and how persuasive it is.

David Jackson