WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Role of Meta Tags

ldscldsc subscriber Posts: 3

Hello Everybody,

What is the
role of meta tags in the search engines. Can meta tags improve our
SERP. Please Reply me with satisfied answer.

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    There are various META tags. The most important is the title tag. The description is also used but the keyword META is not used by the major search engines.

For improving SERP, requires a few things or combination of things.

One factor outside your control is what the competing web sites are doing to get SERPS for the targeted keywords.

~Roland
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I set up a second website for my company about 10 days ago, and did not put meta keywords into the pages. I created one inbound link from our existing site to the new site, rather than submit the new site to search engines.
    This morning, checking the main search terms for the new site, it is coming up on the first 3 pages of Google and Yahoo, ranging from #7 to #24.
    Just making 2 points .... 1 is that meta keywords aren`t always required, and 2 is that inbound links can work faster than submitting a site to search engines.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Absolutely, inbound links - links from another site that gets hit by search bots frequently is the fastest way to get a website indexed.  These links could be from a forum - like SUN... inside a post like this  web site design    (but using your targeted keywords).

Submitting to search engines is almost a waste of time.

~Roland
  • redfishredfish subscriber Posts: 10
    In bound links are more important than submissions.  If you have 0 links to your site, submitting it to Google often won`t accomplish much.  Google still probably won`t index it.  (Try it.  Set up a page, then don`t link to it, submit it and try finding it in a couple of days... you can even use the URL and Google usually won`t find it).
    Also, meta tags can be powerful - but only content ones.  The description meta tag is useful, but often not used in determining the page rank.  Keyword meta tags are virtually useless (because people abuse it).  <title> is important but only useful if it contains keywords and is unique for each page.  <h1> is very important as well.  But placement of the meta tags is very important.  If <h1> is far from <body> then it won`t factor in as much.
    But a warning: don`t screw around with search engines.  If you use <h1> and make it invisible to viewers then you risk becoming banned.  The rule of thumb is - be honest but be smart.
  • jcwilde1jcwilde1 subscriber Posts: 2
    I don`t think keyword meta tags are useless if they are unique to the page. Google will dismiss most of your meta descriptions and keywords if it is the same on every page. Not saying it is more important than title tags and <h1> tags. But it could help a bit and if you are showing up 20th in the rankings that little bit could bump you up near the top.
  • michaelbishmichaelbish subscriber Posts: 0

I think only the title and meta description is no use of keywords.So
    useful.There goal to try to create a descriptive title and a
    description saying that you like, what happens to your page.I think
    only of the title and useful.There meta description is no use of meta
    keywords.So try to create a descriptive title and a description saying
    that you like, what happens to the page.
  • RuslanPopovRuslanPopov subscriber Posts: 1
    Meta tag description doesn`t matter for Search Engines any more, but it matters for users. Because they pay attention some time to the snippet - a short description of your site in the SERP.
  • swaggyswaggy subscriber Posts: 0
    Though major search engines do not provide much importance to Meta tags, but still its better to optimize Meta tags. Basically of all the Meta tags the two primary tags that play a role in optimization are the Meta Keywords tag and the Meta description tag.
  • CygnetCygnet subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello,
    Meta tags are helpful to get listed top in SERP. After some updates from the Google its now not necessary to have all the meta tags but Title tag and Meta description is the must have in your site. You can skip keywords but not description and title.
  • eswarieswari subscriber Posts: 0
    Meta tags play in the process of search engine optimization, it is always better to use Meta tags on your own web site. Just make your own keyword phrase and add it in the keywords tag in the source code of your web site, wait for a fortnight and then conduct a search of your web site on the major search engines to know the ranking of your web site.
  • recipesbyingrecipesbying subscriber Posts: 0
    The most important is the title tag. The description is also used but the keyword META is not used by the major search engines.
  • MalrgafMalrgaf subscriber Posts: 0
    Even though the meta keywords aren't as important, I still enter them for new articles that I write. I've found it to be beneficial to write them out after the article is completed, because it helps me see if I've covered all the keywords that I set out to.
  • mexicantrainmexicantrain subscriber Posts: 0
    I don`t think keyword meta tags are useless if they are unique to the page. Google will dismiss most of your meta descriptions and keywords if it is the same on every page.
  • BousejiBouseji subscriber Posts: 0
    I think yes meta tags can be important to SERPs and can either help or hurt depending on how they are used. IMO the <title> tag should be used as html tag not as meta tag. But title, keyword and description tags aside, meta tags can be important because they can give valuable instructions for example nofollow, noindex, provide sitemap location, control cache/archive, etc. Also remember that other search engines like Yahoo do read keywords meta tag.
  • chuixowochuixowo subscriber Posts: 0
    The Meta tag will be positioned within the head tag in the HTML. It provides the information about the webpage to the search engine, like about the purpose and process of the webpage, and which pages should be crawled and which should not crawled. Information about the author, webpage generated tools, etc.