WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Start-up share division

villeboyvilleboy subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
Based on my idea I am getting couple of people together to work on an internet startup business. Since the idea and vision is completely mine do you think it is unfair to ask additional +5% share compared to other 3 people who are working on the startup?
All replies appreciated,
Thanks,
Comments

• customizedstylecustomizedstyle subscriber Posts: 0
    nothing in business is unfair if you sell yourself or your idea and people buy it, you can ask for whatever percentage you wish, just sell that number to your partners and believe you are worth it and deserve it, they will too.
  • DeenaEsqDeenaEsq subscriber Posts: 0
    I would just make sure that in your agreement (shareholder/member/partnership agreement depending on how you intend to organize the business) that you spell out that your contribution of the idea is worth whatever amount you assign it.  That way there`s never a problem when you guys split up.

Deena
    Any opinions are offered without knowledge of the specific law of your jurisdiction and with only the limited information provided in your post.  No advice given here should be reasonably relied upon by you or any third party without consulting an attorney who is aware of all of the facts and law surrounding your situation.  Any advice given here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship in any way.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    all is fair in love and war and an internet startup business.
  • villeboyvilleboy subscriber Posts: 1

Thanks for the answers so far.

Situation is as follows.

It is Internet startup. My initial idea, we have already developed the idea further with the 4 partners. To make it success it needs a lot of work from all of the 4 partners involved, the development, design, marketing, third party negotiations. etc. so basically every individual will work a lot for the business, in best case it might make it to become million dollar business, in worse case it might be overrun by already existing competition in the field.

My initial idea - needs a lot of further development ideas from all fields, all partners have to push hard to make it happen, needs to perhaps invest a little bit on it and even then it might not make it. Thus I though 5% is fair. Otherwise I see that other partners might not get motivation to be in it.

All further opinions welcome.