WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What do you do to get the creative juices flowing?

scottbishopscottbishop subscriber Posts: 5
edited May 2006 in Thought Leadership
I have been moving up the corporate ladder for some time now.  This past year I was promoted twice and working 16 hour days driving 3500 to 4000 miles per month and leading a life filled with stress.  Not from the work as much as the politics and "corporate policies". 
Fortunately/unfortunately I was sidelined with a medical condition.  This brought me back to the basics of what really matters in life.  Family, friends, and living a meaningful life. 
I have recovered and am a "new man".  I workout daily, eat on 6-7 small health meals, drink 14 bottles of water a day and mediate every evening.
I have found that some of my best ideas come during my daily walk.    
What do you do to get the creative juices flowing?

Comments

• LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    My creative juices never get a jump start while just sitting at my desk.  I must push myself away from my computer and do something not directly related to the work at hand to come up with my best ideas.  My best creative "brain farts" come to me while gardening, walking, reading a book at the beach, driving, soaking in my hot tub or taking a shower.  I also travel a great deal - about 1/3 to 1/4 of the year - and the change of scenery (especially exotic/historic locales) is always a "creative juice" stirrer.- J.
  • OfficeSpaceJeffOfficeSpaceJeff subscriber Posts: 0
    Running works best for me.  During those 30 - 40 minutes of total boredom,  there`s nothing much to do, except to think (and making sure you don`t get hit by a truck!!).  Some of my best ideas came during a run.
    Also some good (business) ideas while in the shower.
    Some brilliant ideas while lying in bed, but those usually occur on the nights that I forget to have paper and pen handy.  By morning, those thoughts of pure brilliance are long gone:-((
  • watergalwatergal subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    Believe it or not, I get some of my best thinking done while sleeping! So I just
    reach for my trusty note pad with the built in light and pen and jot it down then go back to sleep
     jo
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    To get my creative juice, flowing I usually turn the lights off at my office, play soft music in the background and close my eyes... More like if I was going to sleep. It helps because it`s proven that creative people get inspired while they are sleeping or going to sleep. Or I keep a Note Pad by my night table.. and write stuff down in the middle of the night.Or listen to techno or trance music (I`m big on Underground House Music) so I pop in a CD or MP3s and that helps.
  • dlakeydlakey subscriber Posts: 1
    I find that I do my best thinking when I am on a long bicycle ride alone.

Dan
  • carlosbcarlosb subscriber Posts: 1
    iam having lots of trouble with my creative juice. quit my job of 16 yrs
    to follow my dream as a photographer. this is my 2month and iam feeling
    depressed and lonley working from home. just thought i could talk to
    someone. anyone sorry for the bad reply sorry.....