WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Motivation

theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
edited April 2006 in Office Workers
Current cubicle detention center members always have good stories...You know, the jerks that co-work, boss-from-hell, death-by-bureaucracy type of stories.I think these stories make great motivation for those of us who dream to one day break the surly bounds of the cubicle rat trap.It`s also a great way to vent.
What`s your story...

Comments

• bfleming98bfleming98 subscriber Posts: 0
    As a software Developer at a large corporation, it`s amazing how anything `cool` gets killed off by the I.T. Deparment.  The CEO`s preach innovation, but it gets killed at the first layer of Management....
    whatever....LOL

• BardStuffBardStuff subscriber Posts: 7
    I wont tell stories about my current gig on the off chance that, like me, my coworkers are hanging out on the start-your-own-company forums .But I will tell stories about the one before that.  I worked in large financial services (mutual funds) doing web work back in the 98-02 time frame.  Basically the rise and fall of the bubble.  As such, we needed to attract the same talent (read: kids who chose not to go to college because who needs it?  I`ll just get stock money!) as everybody else.  I found myself on a "soft perks" committee, which was supposed to brainstorm ideas that would make us more appealing to that market.  I came up with stuff like bean bag chairs, free massages at desks, free soda, and so on.  Others on the committee came up with stuff like, "What if, with your managers approval, the company could subsidize a portion of the cost of your cell phone?  You would, of course, have to pay it yourself and then submit the bill each month for reimbursement with the appropriate business calls highlighted...."Finally at one point I told them, "That`s not a soft perk.  That`s barely a perk.  I know the kind of talent we`re trying to recruit -- I *am* one of them -- and that sort of thing isn`t going to attract anybody, it`s going to make us laugh at you.  The company down the street is leasing frickin Porches and you want to make me jump through hoops to maybe get a discount on my cell phone if my manager approves it."I was kicked off the committee.  But dang it felt good.
  • theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    I call those, "rubber stamp committees."The boss makes the decision. Committee rubber stamps the decision. Decision fails. Boss blames the committee.I proud of you, BardStuff
  • theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Rude doesn`t even begin to describe it.
  • moneymelzmoneymelz subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    The thing I hate the most, is that these jobs always say that there is lots of "growth potential" you have an opportunity to "grow" within the company. But check it out, a position is posted..u apply..u interveiw very well..they can`t even think of anything to critique u on..HOWEVER, the following week u recieve an email, sent to the whole company congratulating a person, who u had already seen working in the dept. i guess "unoffically"! So basically they already had the position filled.. that`s bureaucratic bs! why make other people go through the motions if they don`t have a chance! That`s why i gotta get out!!
  • SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Ahhh...sway....great topic! I have soooooo many stories...but one that really sticks out was early in my "career". I had found what I thought was the "PERFECT" job. HUGE perks, great co-workers, fun, relaxed atmosphere, and tons of room to grow and move up...or so I thought. I had been with the company for 2 years...had moved from your typical inside sales assistant to the top of the top...I was the right-hand-man for the top sales rep...training new incoming inside sales assistants...out on jobsites working as the other side of the team when it came to making sure things got done right! I had the knowledge...I had read ever spec book, every journal, every last technical manual I could get my hands on...I went to technical training seminars on equipment that I thought was cooler than cool (we sold large power systems-UPS, Power distribution, enourmous diesel generators). I worked on projects for AOL`s campus in Ashburn, VA, Worldcom`s campus next door, Nextel`s facilities all over the country...I WAS LOVING LIFE!!! I was ready to dedicate my entire life`s career to this company...I had asked for tuition reimbursement to obtain an electrical engineering degree so that I would have the paper to back the knowledge. I thought for sure I was on my way to outside sales training...it was the next logical step...I knew 3-phase, single phase and HVAC sales inside and out. I was a shoe-in for the next outside sales slot...or so I thought! I remember at the time thinking it was interesting that our sales team was primarily young, single, good looking men...but I figured it was because no women had really been motivated enough to make it to the top. Boy was I wrong! I quickly found out that I didn`t have the right "qualifications" for the job! I had trained a new inside sales assistant (male)...got him into the program...I thought he would end up being my replacement when I went into outside sales...big shocker when he got selected for the sales training program. I knew then and there that I would spend the rest of my days trying to figure out exactly how to become my own boss...how I could someday come back to that company...those "Good Ol` Boys" and show them that they had made the biggest mistake of their careers! I was 20 at the time...I would`ve been the youngest outside rep...and probably the best! I suppose...looking back I could`ve sued for discrimination...but I like to think that my becoming a huge success...that will be payment enough! I still sometimes compare new jobs to the perks and atmosphere from that job...but I am highly motivated to succeed because of them...and so I actually thank them for that! (and I plan on inviting them to my ribbon cutting ceremony when I open my international offices)