WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
edited February 2009 in Business Planning
Folks,

If you haven`t already, you gotta check out our great new bloggers here at StartupNation.

You don`t need to be logged in to view and comment and I want to encourage you to tap into these incredible entrepreneurs and experts who are providing their thoughts, commentary, advice and real-world experiences on a daily basis. We have a feed set up, too, so you can updates when new blog entries are posted.

The topics range from marketing and business planning to work-life balance and most recently, the pain-in-the-you-know-what of getting stranded as a business traveler.

Here`s the link to visit the new StartupNation blogs to learn how to:

Improve your online marketing, from Ryan Allis, of

iContact.com

The CEO and co-founder of iContact, Ryan was named as one of BusinessWeek’s "Top 25 Entrepreneurs Under 25," and he is the author of “Zero to One Million: How I Built a Company To $1 Million in Sales and How You Can Too.”

Start and grow a franchise, from Jack Burris, of

Red Beard Marketing.com

As a former employee and current member of the International Franchise Association and Franchise Business Review, Jack Burris is our resident expert on franchise entrepreneurship.

Make more and work less, from Sam Carpenter, of

WorktheSystem.com

Sam, author of "Work the System: The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less," and CEO of Centratel, a leading commercial telephone answering service, shares his passion for workplace efficiency and work/life balance.

Run an effective ecommerce site, from Kevin Harmon, of

Inflatablemadnessdvd.com

As the CEO of Inflatable Madness LLC, Kevin is in the top 25 eBay sellers in the world and also sells on Amazon.com and Inflatablemadnessdvd.com.

Have a socially responsible business, from Christine Haskell, of

SocialVentureLabs.com

Christine consults with businesses that consider their community contribution to be integral to what they do. Her blog profiles mission-driven companies in the social venture space that make money by doing the right thing.

Be a successful mom and entrepreneur, from Heather Nolte, of

Glamajama.com

Heather is a mother who owns a successful company and lifestyle-clothing line that’s a favorite of celebrities - Glamajama. She’s been featured on
“Oprah” and other major media, and now provides advice at StartupNation.

Get legal expertise and

perspectives, from

Jessica Eaves Mathews, Esq., of

Eavesmathewslaw.com

A business litigator and advisor, Jessica provides valuable information on structuring a business, drafting and negotiating contracts, and dealing with partnership and corporate disputes.

Build buzz using the power of the press, from Melanie Rembrandt, of

RembrandtWrites.com

As StartupNation’s featured PR expert, CEO of Rembrandt Communications, and an online copywriter, Melanie helps readers boost credibility, sales and awareness via cost-effective PR and writing tips.

Track the birth and growth of a cool startup, from Joel Welsh, of

Showcaseu.com

As CEO of the brand new business, Showcase U, Joel shares key decisions and experiences in the "birth of a startup" and provides his own entrepreneurial wisdom.

Gain strategies to manage health insurance, from Lorne Zalesin, of

MyInsuranceExpert.com

A self-proclaimed “serial entrepreneur,” Lorne has launched five successful startups and is now CEO of MyInsuranceExpert.com. As a health insurance expert, he shares key tips for optimizing health insurance coverage.

Stay abreast of startup trials and tribulatins in the fashion business, from Kristin Potenti, of

SelfAssuredWomen.com

Kristin`s just out of the gates and plans to become a fashion industry titan. She`ll be sharing her exploits every step of the way.

Take a great idea and get it to retail, from Kim Babjack, of

KimCoAZ.com

QVC success story and agent to many successful product inventors, Kim is the real deal when it comes to commercializing your great idea and will provide a wealth of tricks of the trade.

Get advice from Footpetals, a big success story, from Tina Aldatz, of
FootPetals.com

It`s not everyday that you can get access to someone this successful who`s still being generous with their time and sharing their wisdom. Actual, now it is... because Tina`s blogging!

We`re trying our hardest to get you access to the smartest resources and people available. Now head over to the blogs and let the bloggers know what you think!

Again, here`s the link:

Visit the new StartupNation blogs

Rich
Brian8/5/2008 2:12 PM

Comments

• RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    janie and steve, thanks for responding. i think it`s really important that we get some dialogue going for the bloggers. it will inspire them to new heights and output that we`ll all benefit from. please spread the word and encourage your peeps to chime in with smart comments in the blogs.

thanks!
  • besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Great blogs, I try to read them from time to time when I receive an email. However, looking at the list here I see that I have more catching up to do - looks like a great wealth of information is waiting for me....... Thanks for sharing.
    paula,

glad you`ve caught the scent of our blogs now! and so true, christine is a new shining star in our midst. so intelligent and passionate and she really digs into the layers, which is great for the rest of us that want to learn...

please let everyone you can know about these incredible bloggers - it`s a great resource with a balance of inspiration, information and access (which is kind of our back halls mantra here at StartupNation).

rich
  • cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    I have read many of the blogs but these are new to me, thanks for letting us know. Definitely checking them out. They look like some great resources.

Collen
  • kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    How does one become a featured blogger? Does one pay to become featured? If so, I`ve missed that somehow. Not to complain about Kristin`s fashion blog that only has 3 entries total (three in a month) but I`ve been publishing a fashion industry blog (with over 1400 entries) for the past three and half years, post every day M-F and I contribute here quite frequently. It`s the number one blog of its kind on the web. Is there something I`m missing? My site is all about the ins and outs of how to start a clothing line (and as such, a good topical and related site) but not a consumer related blog dispensing fashion advice which Kristen`s blog seems to be based on what is there.
  • SweetdreambedSweetdreambed subscriber Posts: 3
    Wow, what great resources.
    I will certaintly check them out.
    cool. one of the things i always wished i had when i was growing my first businesses was access to other smart entrepeneurs who could advise me and who i could learn from. this group of bloggers gives fellow entrepreneurs exactly that access...
  • jycmbajycmba subscriber Posts: 0
    While no one knows where their new venture will ultimately take them, the # 1 problem I see over and over again is that entrepreneurs don`t consider which direction they`d like to go.

Most of us have heard Stephen Covey encourage us to "begin with the end in mind.." But, very few take this to heart with planning an "exit strategy."

If from the beginning you consider the possibility of selling your business to a private 3rd party, (most common outcome for small to mid-size companies,) it`s easier to understand everything from choosing your entity to organizing your finances to tax planning, and so on.

Is there anyone here at Startup Nation blogging on these issues?

jycmba8/12/2008 2:43 PM
  • CPAandMBACPAandMBA subscriber Posts: 0
    I recently started blogging and would welcome readers and comments:

http://GreenCPA.blogspot.com

I am interested in feedback.  I have an MBA in Sustainable Business and work as a business advisor.  What are you interested in?  Let me know and maybe I can write about it.

Thanks,

Brian Setzler, MBA, CPA

CPAandMBA8/12/2008 12:50 PM
  • LaszloLaszlo subscriber Posts: 2
    Hey Rich
    Saw you on Donny`s show tonight and wanted to say hello. I have some challenges in my business and I always learn new things from Donny and his guests. I am looking forward to jump starting my writing and producing business with your help. I have a great TV project I have developed but need to get pilot money to be able to present it to the networks. Have the number one person in the sport attached and have a 4 time EMMY Winning Director on board. looking for sponsors and or funds to produce the pilot. Any suggestions
    Best Regards
    Laszlo Klima
    hey, laszlo! welcome to StartupNation. i or others here in our community will surely be a big help. just start probing with your questions and people will start offering advice.

jycmba, that topic is handled more generally within the various blogs that exist. i love that you`re implying that you need to know your end game in order to structure a successful business.
    Thanks Rich, looking forward to some advice soon
    Best
    Laszlo
    have you posted yet? or posed comments in the blogs in reaction to what`s been posted there?
  • jycmbajycmba subscriber Posts: 0
    Exactly, Rich!

It`s amazing - most business leaders wouldn`t think of taking a trip without making sure that most things are planned to the last detail.

Yet, it`s the rare individual who sits down and asks the basic question, "where do I want to take my business?"

Of course, it`s easy for us to play Monday night quarterback, while the entrepreneur is busy juggling the responsibilities of keeping their ship afloat.

But that doesn`t change the need to at least take pause and ponder, "do I want to sell to an outsider? maybe pass the helm to a key player within? maybe junior isn`t interested in taking over?"

As always, recognition of a problem is the first stage. The next is to take action - take an assessment of whether your advisors (financial, tax, legal, personal estate) are equipped to assist you. If not, you may not need to fire your current professional, but it may be time to seek out those with experience in making your goals a reality.

Of course, like many major life issues, the key is to start early. If re-structure your corporate entity makes sense for your exit strategy,it may take TEN years to pass the IRS litmus test of legitimacy!

Hi Rich
    I thought this site was about helping people? Cant get a single response.
    Thanks
    LaszloLaszlo8/28/2008 2:27 PM