WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Paying Sales Tax in Quickbooks question

GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
Anyone pay their sales tax to their state by credit card and use Quickbooks?  I`m having trouble.

Comments

• BreeAnaBreeAna subscriber Posts: 3
    what exactly are the kind of troubles that you are experiencing with quickbooks and paying sales tax by credit card?

Are your reminders still flagging that you are liable for sales taxes but have already paid for it.  A possibility, you paid it through a write check and not through pay bills (vendor menu). 

Or forgot to book your payment in quickbooks (use vendor bill pay). 

Or have made an adjustment to a prior period in error that have been paid for already (run a query report for previous quarters and see where the liability is outstanding, or run a accounts payable aging report to show you whats outstanding). 

When was the last time you reconciled your sales taxes?  Are your tax rates correct and updated for each month since you last paid?

Are your sales  (revenue earned) correct for each state, create a custom report showing sales by state (if sales are statewide)

With out detail explaination, its hard to pinpoint what may have caused the problem in the first place.
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Thanks Stan and thanks BreeAna!  I broke down and called my accountant...  (I just hate doing that because the clock is always ticking)  She helped me figure out a way around it by creating a new account called Sales Tax liablity instead of the default Sales Tax Payable.  Then it would let me "enter credit card charges" under that account.  All is well!  Thanks for being there for me guys!!!
  • Kmbr39Kmbr39 subscriber Posts: 1
    Why couldn`t you dedicate the payment to come from the credit card (similar to the bank account) when you are in the pay sales tax module?
  • glgcpaglgcpa subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Thanks Stan and thanks BreeAna!  I broke down and called my accountant...  (I just hate doing that because the clock is always ticking) 

This is why I went to flat rate pricing.  It encourages clients to be pro-active and call me before they do something that cost them more money (either in my fees for fixing what they did wrong or in more taxes paid) later.  If you like your accountant then you might want to ask about flat rate pricing so you don`t have to sweat calling.