WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Is Your Website Readable?

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
I`m absolutely amazed at how many websites I`ve visited that are written in reverse text.

What`s reverse test?

Reverse text is light colored or white text on a dark or black background.

If used correctly, reverse text can produce an impressive visual impact.

However, a little reverse text goes a long way. And if you have a whole webpage of reverse text, it`s very difficult on the eyes.

Why? Because according to readability studies, reverse text is not suitable for reading because of its poor legibility even in normal lighting conditions. It`s just not user-friendly.

When designing your website, it`s best to use black text on a white or light-colored background.

But if you decide to use reverse text, use it sparingly.

David Jackson
DavidJackson1/12/2009 10:04 AM

Comments

• Options
    JmesJmes subscriber Posts: 4
    I agree
    I`d also like to add that this goes for most of the eye candies out there
    If you include 1 picture in your main page, it has that much more effect than if you include 5
    If you include a special sale tab, colored in a different way than the rest, it will jump out. but if you add 3 of these they won`t be seen
    You should always try to focus your visitors on what YOU want them to focus on, whether its with reverse text, or any other method
    Jmes
  • Options
    kevinholeshkevinholesh subscriber Posts: 0
    It`s all about the contrast.
    White text on a black background has a very high contrast, just like black text on a white background. The higher the contrast, the harder it is to read.I prefer to use a slightly gray text on a white background. It`s a high enough contrast that it is easy to read and it isn`t hard on the eyes after a while.PS I usually make a custom CSS style (with firefox) to switch back the reverse text. Otherwise, I`d go crazy.
  • Options
    It`s all about the contrast.
    White text on a black background has a very high contrast, just like black text on a white background.  This is not even debatable. Black text on a white background is far easier to read for most people, than white text on a black background.  That`s why books are printed black text on white paper - readability. David JacksonDavidJackson1/12/2009 8:23 PM
  • Options
    kevinholeshkevinholesh subscriber Posts: 0
    Black text on a white background is far easier to read for most people, than white text on a black background.
    I`m not saying a white background and dark text is as hard to read as white text on black. I completely agree with your thoughts there.However, I think the black text on white is harder to read than other colors at smaller sizes because of the high contrast. That is why I prefer a slightly gray text on a white background. I believe this is why most of the books I`ve read are black text on an offwhite paper. It`s not 100% white to lessen the contrast between the background and the text, which makes it easier to read for long periods of time.
  • Options
    I`m not saying a white background and dark text is as hard to read as white text on black. I completely agree with your thoughts there.
      Sorry, I misunderstood the point you were trying to make. David JacksonDavidJackson1/13/2009 9:41 AM