WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Where do I start up?

JmesJmes subscriber Posts: 4
edited December 2008 in Grab Bag
pun intended
Hi everybody
I`m currently employed in a very big software company and my wife is a preschool teacher, but we`re are planning to move to a quieter place and hopefully start our own business
My question is.. where do we start?
How do we make the dream into a reality?
How do we get the money?
Everybody is saying "make a business plan" but we have no idea how...
I would greatly appreciate any advice
Jmes

Comments

• JmesJmes subscriber Posts: 4
    Thank you all
    It seems like the more we think about this subject the more busy we get.. and not even with it
    Longer hours at my current jobs and my wife`s work in the local community seem to take their toll on us..
    I really appreciate your comments. You guys really are very helpful
    Could you share some insights or personal stories? how did you get into the startup business? what did you do right? what did you do wrong? what and how were the good times.. and the bad?
    I`d really love to hear about it
    And again, thank you all so very much!
    Jmes
    I gotta say- Thanks for sharing Craig
    Your story gives me alot more insight about how businesses are started and run..
    Even though. despite all of your enthusiasm I`m still feeling cold feet
    You say it took you quite a while to be able to stand on your feet... but what if you didn`t?
    I know nothing is fail-safe and I can`t really be sure I`ll be able to make it, but it still is scary...
    I have another question for you, if you don`t mind;
    Except your day to day activities and the general run of the company and products.. are you thinking about advancing in any direction?  if yes then how? and what made you decide what is the right time?

1 more thing, Craig, you mentioned in your reply about getting your product on the web
    A question about that too.. are you using a consultant or a company to
    help you with your online visibility or have you learned it all by
    yourself?
    Are you using any paid services out there or are sticking with the free ones, like linkedin and lookuppage?