WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Trade Shows - What to give away?

minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
edited November 2008 in Marketing
I`m trying to decide what to use as a giveaway at some upcoming trade shows.  We sell rocks so I thought the most logical thing would be interesting samples.  I wonder if you can buy zip-bags with your logo?  I also found some candy that would be cool. 

Has anyone else come up with something unique and memorable?  Also, do you think the giveaway has to tie into the business?  My husband`s radio station gives away nail files with the station logo...not exactly a connection but, hey, everyone needs a nail file!

Thanks,
Tracy

Comments

• minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
    Hi Janie,

I love your toothpick idea!  My only hesitation on the candy is that it is expensive (~$2.00 per bag) for the smallest bag.  It is cool looking though.

Tracy

• RemipubRemipub subscriber Posts: 3
    That was the first thing that came to my mind as well ... rock candy.  I know there are a couple of different kinds out there.  I bet you could buy it in bulk - I know of a local grocery store near me that sells it in their bulk section.  As for the ziplock bags, no doubt you can get them imprinted with your information - if not, a small label would work just as well (just more labor).

Also (maybe in addition to candy) be sure to give away something that has staying power.  If you go the candy route, that`s great but your company logo will be gone as soon as the candy is gone.  Pens seem so plain and unoriginal, but if they`re nice they get used and your name will be in the customer`s hands for a good long time.  Pens is just one thought - it doesn`t matter what it is, as long as it gets used and has a decent shelf life.
  • DCCSCSDCCSCS subscriber Posts: 6
    I would try for the candy, even if its just a little bit in each.  We all love free edibles. 
  • websmartwebsmart subscriber Posts: 0
    Tracy,
    I think what you should before giving away the gift, ask for their email, that way you build up your newsletter user database and you could send a monthly newsletter with specials of the month or something along those lines, you will get something out of the giveaways as well.
    Have fun at the trade show
    I like the blow-up rock idea.  We are actually looking into seeing if we can have real rocks etched with our info.  I think for the show next week, which is school teachers, we are going to start with rock candy and have a supply of our logo hand magnifiers since teachers could use those.  We are also going to giveaway a full set of rock kits too.

The show in February will need more creativity since it is for toy store owners who probably don`t care about having a hand magnifier.  The tote bags maybe good for that show.  I have a sewing company who makes bags for us already so that could be a great idea.  The online raffle idea is really cool and I could get that together before February too!

I really appreciate all of these fantastic ideas!! 
    Hi Everyone,

I just got back from the trade show and wanted to thank everyone for their ideas.  I ended up giving away rock candy (the sugar crystals on a stick) because I didn`t have time to get together the chocolate rocks.  But, they went over really well! 

The response to the products was great and I learned a lot of things that worked and things that I can improve for the next show. 

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice on this thread and throughout the site on trade show topics (I read them all).  My show wouldn`t have been nearly as successful with all of you so, than you very much!

Tracy