WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I have updated my site, please critique it again

taxgirltaxgirl subscriber Posts: 2
edited January 2008 in Website Critique
 I have built my own site from a template since cash is very scarce at this stage of my business.

I have had the most trouble writing copy. This is a B2B site and I want it to introduce me and the ways I can help small businesses with their bookkeeping, taxes and accounting software.

I would also like to improve the site`s SEO and get advice on SEM.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Carole O`John

www.cjojohn.com

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Looks like you used OfficeLive to build this. SEO wise, it isn`t good, but thats inherent with this program. Your Code to text ratio is 10%, and W3C shows 195 errors. Way too much unneeded and invalid code.The layout doesn`t work. You have a big, blank blue left column, nothing happening unless you`re on some of the other pages, then there still isn`t much. More of a distraction than anything.Look at the text at the top of the page. Now look at the main content. The first thing I thought was that YOU want to help ME by showing 20% off an accounting program. Thats the first selling point/piece of information I should see? If I want an accounting program, I can search for one. If I`m on your site, I want your information. A lot of your site looks like you`re an affiliate for them. Fine if you are, but I don`t care. That doesn`t help you help me. Sell yourself first, not someone elses` product.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    As noted above, you are limited because of using officelive and the coding is not the best.

Watch your graphics... the logo at the bottom if the home page is pixelated.  Make sure you properly resize your images before you insert them into the web page.

I am working on a website for a CPA firm and what and how to communicate your content is important. There are many, many CPA, accounting, tax prep, and bookkeeping websites out there... what makes you different, why should I contact you (rather than someone else)?

When choosing an accountant it certainly is important they know what they are doing, but it is also important to be able to create a business relationship. Can I work with the accountant?

Taxes, accounting, and bookkeeping are some may say boring topics, so there needs to be a balance between demonstrating that you can provide the services / technical proficiency and be a trusted adviser.

~Roland