WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Best Hosting Server?

calvincalvin subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
edited January 2012 in Building A Website That Works
I was just browsing through the hundreds of hosting services out there and wanted to get your take on the best one in terns of features, support, value, etc.
What are you guys using?  Are you guys happy with your service?
Post your reviews!

Comments

• KathyBradeKathyBrade subscriber Posts: 0
    What sort of features / functionality do you need?  e-mail?  ftp?  secure web site?  database?  shopping cart?I`ve been using DreamHost (dreamhost.com) for almost 3 years and I have been happy with them.  There shared hosting plans are inexpensive and offer lots of features.  I like their web control panels for maintaining email accounts and other settings.Their support is by email and usually happens within a few hours.Disclaimer: I`m pretty technical and can handle debugging problems.  My tolerance for glitches may be higher or lower than someone elses.p.s.  If you do choose DreamHost, you can mention my name ("brade") and I will get a referral award.  Likewise, if you refer others to DreamHost, you can get a referral award.
    KathyBrade2006-4-25 16:49:51
  • tomasztomasz subscriber Posts: 14
    The type of hosting that you need will depend on several factors. If you plan on having a dynamic website with changing content, databases, a forum, user accounts for shopping or storage of other info then you need probably a dedicated server that will be designated just for your website. Such servers can run on Microsoft or Linux. From personal experience I preferer Linux based hosting as it is less expensive and more reliable, but it is more technical; thus, the web design will be more advanced in terms of programming. Morosoft based servers are more expensive and lesss reliable compared with Linux.If you think that the website will have a heavy usage right from the start then the bandwith will also play a role when choosing the hosting plan. As more users access the site, the hosting plan will need to include enough power to handle all the usage in order to keep the site running without going down.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Calvin,There are lots of hosting companies that offer web hosting these days, what you need to decide is how much space do you need? what features do you want? For example: Shopping Cart support, Coldfusion support, php, ASP, ASP.Net. Do you want blogging software such as PhPBB, Mambo? Do you want Linux based or Windows based? Do you want FTP and Anonymous FTP? Do you want Email? How many MySQL Databases are they offering you. ODBC support, What bandwidth are they offering you? Are they 99.9 % up-time? make sure they have good technical support and prompt response. These are some of the things you should look for.  
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    TJG,Please read carefully, what is so hard or technical about the answer? If you can`t understand what I wrote on my last posting, then most-likely you have go-daddy as your web hosting provider. You don`t know what how much space do you need? "S-P-A-C-E" you don`t know what space is? I`m pretty sure he knows the difference between Linux and Windows. Do you know the difference? Or are you a MAC user? What about the word shopping cart? how much more descriptive can it get? Blogging where is the technical part? Calvin you do you know what`s the difference between coldfusion, php, asp, and asp.net are? if you don`t these are server side software that lets you connect Databases to your web site,also known as server side scripting software. Let`s take for example Start Up nation is asp. the difference if you are going to have asp or asp.net depends on the package you choose and if you go with windows hosting then you will have asp and asp.net other than that if you go with Linux then you won`t have them, but you will have php and coldfusion if they offer coldfusion, So basically it`s is up to you Calvin. Uptime means reliability of the server, FTP is short for file transfer protocol, you will use this to upload your web site to your web hosting. Anonymous FTP, well that is incase you want to share files with clients and friends and want fast down-load. ODBC is short for Open Database Connection which lets you connect to the database of your choice and if you are running a database driven web site, (dynamic) you will need to register your database. And TJG, do you know what email is or should I go into detail, for sake of this conversation email is a program used to send letters, documents via the internet. Calvin I hope this helps you, and TJG I hope this help you out too
  • BoetqojuBoetqoju subscriber Posts: 0
    Offers affordable and easy to use services! Customers can have <a rel="nofollow" title="as much as you need">unlimited</a> domains and use all the <a rel="nofollow" title="data transmission rate">bandwidth</a> (channel capacity) they need. Free set-up and instant activation! Features an attractive attention to customer satisfaction. iPage gets its electrical power from wind energy (no <a rel="nofollow" title="remains of prehistoric organisms preserved in petrified form">fossil</a> fuel burning).
  • Xeoxa21Xeoxa21 subscriber Posts: 0
    To play the SEO game safely, I recommend using only a few-to-none cross-links. I am saying this because I have seen my <a rel="nofollow" title="unpaid">organic</a> engine rankings suffer after my cross-linked sites were shut down at the same hosting company for about eight hours straight. I suspect my sites were penalized because the engines found out I was cross-linking using too many different keyword phrases as my <a rel="nofollow" title="incoming link">backlink</a> titles. Three weeks after slowly removing 90% of my cross-links, I noticed an improvement in organic rankings. Now I have no plans on going back to excessive cross-links.
  • BoyuapufBoyuapuf subscriber Posts: 0
    Cheap web hosting at $4.45 a month! Webmasters get unlimited: GBs of space and transfer, domains, e-mail accounts, and MySQL databases. Also offers free: Site builder, url for life, instant set-up. Just Host features a good money-back-guarantee.
  • venmalathyvenmalathy subscriber Posts: 0
    You can get the best Website Hosting plans at Tucktail.com and host your sites...I have hosted my sites at here the service,support,plan all are good.So i am still having account at here.
  • JayrpihjJayrpihj subscriber Posts: 0
    Depending on what type of content you are going to have on your website you will have to find web hosting matching your needs. If the is going to be small with limited traffic there is no point in getting expensive hosting with features you won't use anyway. If you on the other hand are in charge of a major website you have to make that the solution is strong enough to handle all the traffic.These are just two factors to why it's important that you get to know all the different web hosting terms, read our reviews and compare the different providers before you sign up for anyone. At WebHostGear.com you will find lists with anything from Shared Hosting to Virtual Private Servers and Dedicated Hosting.
  • BomoleixBomoleix subscriber Posts: 0
    Without the right kind of hosting, it is nearly impossible to have your website or blog perform optimally, especially as you begin to receive more daily visitors and update your site with content. If you want to make your website as successful as possible, then you'll need to have access to the right kind of hosting services. The following information can help you become familiar with the various aspects of the most popular types of web hosting.