WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Dealing with manufacturers? Direct Shipments

TylerTyler subscriber Posts: 2
Just curious if the nation could help me out. I want to launch a website without carrying inventory. I know this is not the best method of operating a business but without funding my options are limited. I want to know if any professionals have any advice on trying to get manufacturers to work with our company and understand exactly what our needs our as an etailer carrying virtually zero inventory. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Tyler,

Are you wanting the manufacturer to create unique a product you will sell?  Or, are you wanting serve as an outlet for a manufacturer?  There are a number of companies that create products businesses can sell under the business name.  They warehouse the product until you send in an order.  They then ship direct to the customer under your companies name. 
    nevadascul7/17/2008 12:20 PM
  • Options
    DefMallDefMall subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Tyler -

We drop ship for almost 60 different websites, so the idea of a manufacturer letting you sell their products without caryring inventory is certianly `do-able`. You will find this less posible with small, inexpensive items...but your concept is viable and has been around a long time.

What specific questions about the process can the Nation help you with? 
  • Options
    BootStrappinBootStrappin subscriber Posts: 0
    Tyler,

I agree with DefMall, you can develop a website without inventory, and there are good drop shippers to be found, so that you do not have to invest in inventory.  Could you give a little more information?  At what stage you are ...in building a web based business?  How much knowledge do you have?  Have you researched what you will need?  That kind of information!

I recently read that 80% of website`s fail....So do your due-diligence on the subject; increase you likely-hood of being in that successful percentile.  Good Luck!!!

BootStrappin7/19/2008 4:58 PM