WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

On-Line Backup Solutions

GeorgeGeorge subscriber Posts: 4
Greetings everyone in Startup Nation,
I have seen some websites that provide a back-up service for a fee. I have an idea that would combine two services. My idea would incorporate a backup storage and provide a page in which the user can create a personal webpage. The user could store music, pictures, or use it as a back-up.  My revenue would come from charging a small fee for the service and include an pay for ad model in which advertiser can pay for ads that generate traffic.
Can I get some feedback on what anyone thinks about it and if is even doable and profitable?
Thanks, George

Comments

• Options
    bfleming98bfleming98 subscriber Posts: 0
    George,
    It doesn`t sound like a bad idea.  If you look at these companies it`s the bandwidth cost that`s expensive. Perhaps you *think* of a way to combine this with all the extra cable-modem bandwidth that`s floating around in cyberspace.
    If you can get around the bandwidth constraint I think you`re on to something.

• Options
    Hi Bryan,
    Thanks for the feedback. I beleive you have a point on bandwidth. Although I didn`t think it was going to be that big of an issue. I was thinking maybe a T-1 line for starters. I do want to expand to offering service to the commenrcial sector. Although that probably won`t be until later.
    My next step is going to be to create a business plan to make sure I highlight what it is I want to do with this project. I have to do some cost and revenue projections as well, so I will need to get a hold of an IT person that knows the ins of the industry.
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    zeppzepp subscriber Posts: 2
    I believe Apple has been providing something quite similar with its
    ".mac" service.

http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

Might be worth a look for ideas.

Good luck with it!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip there Zepp. I will have a look at it. Now all I need is someone to consult with on how to set up my back-up infrastructure. Does anyone know about building a server network base location for my business.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I appreciate the tip there dmarques. I have seen that website before, but I can`t get what I am looking for just by browsing the site. I am looking for some who knows about data centers and how that works for hosting a website like mine that would offer a backup solution for businesses and the private individual.
    Thanks!