WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Only selling 1 - 5 products... best way to go?

MattCMattC subscriber Posts: 10
Hi Everyone,

Such great info on this site.  I was looking into some of the eCommerce solutions (i.e. Volusion) but it seems most of these are geared towards companies with hundreds if not thousands of products.

I`m launching my business with one product and may get to 3-5 by the end of year 1.

Am I still looking into working with an eCommerce website designer or am I better off witha  regular website but adding shopping cart functionality?

Thanks
Matt

Comments

• Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    A cart may be too much `umph` and cost for one product.  Especially when it comes to credit card processing costs.  You may want to look at pay pal for just one product.  They have easy code to add into your website and they handle the credit card processing.
  • Options
    icollecticollect subscriber Posts: 12
    personally if your selling only a few products possibly ecrater "free cart solution" however you can only change the color scheme not the actual way the page looks and market through ioffer.com, blujay.com , craigslist.com and olx.com
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    While most ecommerce solutions may handle 10, 50, 150, 500...or more products, the decision about if you should use an ecommerce program should not be focused on the number of products, but the features and functions you want/need.

For example: most ecommerce solutions handle a product database which is important but they also handles a customer database.... which is critical. PayPal buy me buttons can certainly be used to handle the sale of one or more products, but it does not capture customer information.

I would not hesitate to recommend using an ecommerce solution to sell a few products.

Also, the reason why some ecommerce sites are similar (cookie-cutter shops) to others is more a function of the person implementing/designing the site than the ecommerce program itself. Although some of the one-stop ecommerce solutions do have significant design limitations.

~Roland
    vwebworld1/10/2008 11:06 PM