WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Door hanger Marketing

kenmankenman subscriber Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Marketing
Has anybody done door hanger marketing? It`s the flyer`s that hang from your door.  What is the average cost and  percentage of leads that are generated from such a campaign? any helpful tips for getting active leads from such a campaign. Background: Got 1,000 door hangers @ .47 each full 4 color front and back. Delivery cost .14 each for a 1,000. Is that excessive per piece? What triggers a response from readers selective words like free or limited time?
kenman2006-11-21 21:50:24

Comments

• MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Not familiar with them.  Ads that hang on doors?  hmmm.  What doors?
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I would think you could print your printing cost down by using an online four-color printing resource.  I`m not sure about the delivery costs.  Most of my clients who have used door hangers have hired some high school kids to delivery them at an hourly rate.Personally, I never even look at all the hangers we get delivered to our front door.  We get so many I just yank them off and toss them in the recycling bin.- J.
  • yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    I`d never recommend a method that seems to annoy potential customers.If LogoMotives says he rips them down and tosses them, that means it could be a nuisance to him, and by extension to many other potenial customers. So I`d say don`t  do it.
  • XpressPrintXpressPrint subscriber Posts: 0
    Has anybody done door hanger marketing?  What is the approx cost and leads that were receive from such a campaign? anybody has any helpful tips for getting active leads from such a campaign. Background: Got 1,000 door hangers @ .47 each full 4 color front and back. Delivery cost .14 each for a 1,000. Is the too much per piece? What triggers a response from readers?
    Kenman,
    It just so happens, I own a Printing Business that specializes in marketing.  www.XpressPrint-Online.com</A>.
    $0.47each is on the high end, but with so many companies out there...prices really don`t qualify with quality.  I charge much less and print on the newest printers in the industry.  I get a lot of my business online, which helps reduce my overall overhead so i can charge less.
    Doorhangers are still a very effective source or marketing whether or not it annoys customers.  I hate getting tele-marketing calls, but does that stop AT&T?  Don`t think so!  Truth be told, what you need is to determine what market your going after and what the best way to reach them is.  Generally speaking don`t expect more than 2% of your marketing to come back in business unless you`re hitting a specific audience that you already know whats your type of business.
    For example: Mortgage refinance company targeting home-owners that can`t afford adjustable rate mortgage payments....thats a pretty specific market and the information is available...you just have to know how to find it.
  • bigpoppasanbigpoppasan subscriber Posts: 0
    In my past experience, the big cost isn`t the printing, but the labor in getting them out there. Mail is probably best unless it is a metro market your targeting so a person you hire for $10 per hour can get out about 60-80 per hour.

• homesweettheaterhomesweettheater subscriber Posts: 1
    I was actually hopping on to post about my own very similar question and I ran across this post. I am just starting off with my business, and trying to attract my first few clients. I am a freelance Home Theater installer, specializing on being the affordable "tv guy" for the average consumer. I have a nice sized market with lots of options, but little money to put towards advertising. I got my first client by them seeing the logos on my truck, so I really have no idea of what type of advertising is worth the money. Online advertising is good, but how does it work for people looking for services in a local market? I have also heard about businesses sending "press kits" out to local press to let them know about the new business and possibly get write-ups or contacts about upcoming volunteer opportunities, etc. Has anyone used any of this method, and who do I send it to once I get it put together? Also has anyone actually had experience getting local exposure with ads/fliers/etc? Any other ideas anyone has had luck with? I don`t want to miss the holiday electronics buying spree, but can`t spend all my shopping money.    As always any help is gratefully appreciated!shawnBTW, here is my website. I built it myself so it`s nothing special but if anyone wants to take a look and tell me how it may help/hurt my business let me know! Thanks for all your help, without this place I never would have been able to do this.www.homesweettheater.com
  • DIDODIDO subscriber Posts: 1
    My suggestion to both Shawn and Kenman are don`t spend your money on printing a door hanger - like logomotives says- it`s irritating and not going to drive the right customer your way. 
    I would suggest - investigate the card decks in your area.  They are a package of cards that come in the mail, each card is a nice glossy printed coupon and a little higher end than a door hanger.  I have actually responded and used several coupons from those card decks.
  • TheBigDogTheBigDog subscriber Posts: 0
    Door hangers can be very effective and inexpensive way of getting out your message and getting noticed. Will a few people not like them? Of course. Do a few people not like anything you try? Of course.
    But if you compare the prices of direct mail vs a door hanger product that is done RIGHT, you are looking at 20 cents or more per impression (assuming you do a 4x6 card and no larger) with direct mail compared to a few cents per impression (including printing costs & distribution) with a properly executed door hanger campaign.
    This requires a lot of comparison shopping with regards to the printer and distributor you use (I would not suggest high school kids if you want accountability and accurate delivery), but my company drops 15,000 for as little as 2 cents per home. Very low cost, and for our advertisers, very effective advertising.
    If any of you are in the Chicagoland area and are interested in doing something like this, let me know and I`ll get you info.
  • NomadAdvertisingLLCNomadAdvertisingLLC subscriber Posts: 3
    I recently launched and canceled a door hanger campaign.  I didnt get one result.
  • RemipubRemipub subscriber Posts: 3
    I`m kind of surprised by some of the negative perception on door hangers.  It`s true that some people are annoyed by anything they consider intrusive, but the statistics speak for themselves.  I`ve read about response rates as high as 25% - though that`s hardly typical.  Granted, it has to be the right kind of business and the presentation (layout and quality of the hanger) needs to be professional and eye catching - but whatever research I`ve done on the medium comes back favorable.  There is no set ROI projection as there are too many variables - but in almost every case I`ve read about, door hangers are at least 1.5 to 2 times more effective than direct mail - and cheaper to boot!  I don`t think door hangers can replace direct mail, but they do have their niche and can be very effective if done correctly.

I am reminded of the first time I realized their power ... I came home after a long day working, I was hungry and just wanted to relax.  Lucky me - there was a Dominos Pizza ad hanging on my door with a great offer.  Guess what I had for dinner that night?
  • RemipubRemipub subscriber Posts: 3
    I find that very surprising ... but then stranger things happen.  I know that government agencies, including law enforcement, use them in South Carolina - I will shoot an email to the State`s Attorney General to verify.
    Update:  I`m impressed with the AG office in S. Carolina - they were fast!  I could find no state laws prohibiting the practice.  It is possible that a particular community has rules against it, but nothing on the state level.

As a consumer I actually appreciate door hangers.  I`ve gotten some cool free samples and great deals that way - and the effort to remove and recycle a flyer from my door knob is hardly an imposition (for me).  But I know everyone is different - just a matter of perspective.
    Remipub11/7/2008 11:43 AM
  • andrieandrie subscriber Posts: 0
    Most, door hangers are use purposely in some hotels, to welcome guess or to not disturbe whois inside. Door hangers are perfectly blends with type of doors such as flush or contemporary doors like the photo shown at http://caldwells.com/interior-doors/flush-doors.
  • henrycalvinhenrycalvin subscriber Posts: 0
    The thing is that you have to explain the mportance of having a door manager.
    Make a list of importance of having a door hanger. And then promote that as well. Then after that you ask your customer if they want to buy them.
    Remember one thing, if you are selling something, never think that your product is too small to achienve anything, there are always 1000 ways to use any product, tell your customers about them and then ask them if they want to buy it.
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    There are free door hanger if you buy any kinds of door at http://caldwells.com/
  • juju1995juju1995 subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks @jason I was looking for that also,
    cheerz,