WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

5 Reasons Why I Think DMOZ Is Irrelevant

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

The issues with DMOZ seem to even go much further.  A few years back there was a company that actually tried to use our trademarked company name for their product and they were friends with the people at DMOZ.  After legal intervention with the company, they agreed to pull the use of our name but DMOZ to this day blocks listing requests from our company.  Even with all this, we still keep trying knowing they have value.  I feel all search engines should be unbiased to be useful for end users, our experiences make me feel like it is not the case with DMOZ.  I hope I am wrong that is why we keep trying.  I agree is Nikole though, don`t give up and good luck with them.

Your story is all the more reason I refuse to waste anymore time on DMOZ. I don`t need that kind of aggravation. I`d rather pay Yahoo $299 every year.
Dale KingDKing2007-8-20 15:18:44

Comments

• Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
  • Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I used to submit to them, but after awhile I figured it wasn`t worth it. I had even joined their public forums in hopes of getting some insight as to how they operate, and get some advice on what to do to get listed.I realize that they are volunteers, but often their attitudes were incredibly negative. "We do what we want, when we want, for who we want" seemed pretty common. I came to realize that, as far behind as they were in reviewing submissions, there was no way in the world that their directory could be considered up to date.I don`t even think of them anymore, or consider even using the directory to find anything I might be looking for.
  • Options
    bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    The issues with DMOZ seem to even go much further.  A few years back there was a company that actually tried to use our trademarked company name for their product and they were friends with the people at DMOZ.  After legal intervention with the company, they agreed to pull the use of our name but DMOZ to this day blocks listing requests from our company.  Even with all this, we still keep trying knowing they have value.  I feel all search engines should be unbiased to be useful for end users, our experiences make me feel like it is not the case with DMOZ.  I hope I am wrong that is why we keep trying.  I agree is Nikole though, don`t give up and good luck with them.bert2007-8-20 10:52:41
  • Options
    Even though the male in me says you are right.  The businessman in me says you should try anyway as you have nothing to lose and some potential gain.  At least it doesn`t cost you any money...
  • Options

Even though the male in me says you are right.  The businessman in me says you should try anyway as you have nothing to lose and some potential gain.  At least it doesn`t cost you any money...

Who cares about the money? It`s three hundred lousy bucks!
    Besides the businessman in me says Yahoo`s directory is far more respected than DMOZ these days. I`m through with DMOZ!!!
    Dale King
     DKing2007-8-20 15:49:4
  • Options
    I would do both.  The more you can spread the word the better, and who knows you might have better luck with them than we did.  Nikole is right about the Google and small search engine kick too...
  • Options
    I would do both.  The more you can spread the word the better, and who knows you might have better luck with them than we did.  Nikole is right about the Google and small search engine kick too...
    You do things your way, and I`ll do things my way.
    Dale King
  • Options
    Nikole, there was nothing at all confrontational about my last post. I`m allowed to say, "you do things your way, and I`ll do things my way." Aren`t I Joel?
    Dale King

• Options
    As much as I hate to poke sticks at a bear, Dale you have a weird approach when it comes to dealing with people.  Remember you asked for our opinions.  I was just giving you mine.  Who is going to be willing to give them to you if you attack them or try to belittle them?  There is a huge wealth of information available between all the people on SuN.  I am sure if you abuse that opportunity, you will ultimately lose out on a unbelievable resource.  Some times it is just better to just say thank you and move on...
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I`m through with DMOZ!!!
    Dale King
    Good
    My experience with DMOZ has been erratic... I`ve had some sites listed and some not.
    I continue to take a couple of minutes to submit a website for a client because there is essentially no drawback while there is a benefit if the site does get listed.
    ~Roland
  • Options

As much as I hate to poke sticks at a bear...
    Ahhhh...and therein lies the problem. Bert,  I`m perfectly fine, as long as you don`t poke me with a stick! Respect my opinion and I`ll respect yours. No need to go back and forth.
    Dale KingDKing2007-8-21 16:44:19
  • Options
    bharat.nimblechappsbharat.nimblechapps subscriber Posts: 186 Silver Level Member
    I think Dmoz is not working or not helpful for new website.
    I am online marketer at Nimblechapps Web Development Company | Mobile Game Development Company