WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited June 2007 in Marketing
According to the dictionary, writer`s block is "usually a temporary psychological inability to begin or continue work on a piece of writing."Fortunately, I`ve  never experienced the frustration of  writer`s block, but I know many marketers who have.What about you? Have any of you ever experienced writer`s block?How did you overcome it?
Would you care to share your experiences with other members? I`m sure this thread could be very helpful to many.
Dale King
 DKing2007-6-28 7:55:8

Comments

• bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    I have it all the time.  So do many of my writer friends.  Mostly when I have something I can`t do (or really don`t want to do),  I just do something else until guilt gets the best of me.  I think writers block is just another form of procrastination.  Could be over work too.  Most of us don`t realize it is the things one avoids most that would make them the most successful.  This is true of writers as well as most business people.
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    A tip from my mother: Try cleaning the house, cleaning the bathroom, washing the kitchen floor, cleaning out the car, mowing the grass, buying groceries, or generally paying attention to something that has nothing to do with writing. This is often good therapy for a variety of "blocks". 
    I have also heard one should do the thing they least like doing first.  I haven`t tried this, but it sounds good...
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Thanks, guys!
    These are some excellent suggestions.
    Anyone else?
    Dale KingDKing2007-6-28 14:8:45
    I think everyone else has writer`s block...
  • SecurityProfessionalSecurityProfessional subscriber Posts: 2
    I have a trick I use when I am having a hard time getting started on writing on a report: I begin by doing the mechanical things associated with producing the report; I scan the client`s logo, prepare the report cover, table of contents, appendices, etc.
    Once the "framework" of the report is completed, I have a sense of accomplishment that makes me want to get the whole thing done. Stupid trick, I know, but it works for me.
    Bert`s comment is similar to one I first heard over 30 years ago and has proven to be very true: make a "to-do" list, then go through the list and pick the thing you would least like to do, and do this. Chances are good that its the most important thing you should do and one you will feel best about when its complete.
     SecurityProfessional2007-7-5 3:0:59
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    If experiencing writer`s block, the best thing for me to do is step away from the computer.  The most immediate cure is to spend time in my garden playing in the dirt.- J.